walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vane from Inveruglas

Ben Vane from Inveruglas

Postby mark-lg » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:30 pm

Route description: Ben Vane, from Inveruglas

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vane

Date walked: 23/07/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 11 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

For my second munro (after Ben Lomond) I decided to tackle Ben Vane, the forecast was decent, so we went ahead and arrived at Inveruglas Tourist Centre at around 8am, leaving shortly after.

During the walk up to the foot, it seemed quite cloudy near the summit of the surrounding hills, we weren't sure whether we'd manage to get a decent view at the top or not:

Once we got up past the first low shoulder, the views started to open up behind us of Loch Lomond:

A bit further up, we got some nice views of the Sloy Dam next to Ben Vorlich:

Still had quite a bit of an ascent to go, especially with the numerous spirit crushing false-tops!

Then we reached the top:

Ben Vorlich:

View towards Ben Lomond:

Obligatory photo at the top!

Then after some lunch at the top, off we set back down:

Final picture of Ben Vane on the walk out:

Overall, despite the weather not being great, we still managed some good views at the top and had a really good day. The hill was quite busy, passing a lot of other walkers and there was quite a few on the summit eating lunch at the same time! I'm now looking forward to my next Munro hopefully sometime this week coming! :D
mark-lg

Munros:5   Corbetts:1

Re: Ben Vane from Inveruglas

Postby mountain coward » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:54 pm

Nice to see a pic of the summit - now I can rest in peace knowing I did do it after all (you could see bugger all when I was up there!). Also like your pics of the rocky bits near the summit - the scrambly bits - I'm impressed with myself now! Especially as the rock was wet when I went up there :D
mountain coward

Re: Ben Vane from Inveruglas

Postby davidsda » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:53 pm

Glad you got some decent views, here is what I got after starting up on a bright morning, turned to ratsh!t very quickly.
Attachments
DSCF1081.JPG
Lack of view from top of Ben Vane
davidsda
Munro compleatist

Munros:28   Corbetts:6
Grahams:1   Donalds:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland