walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dazzling Winter Views on the West Drumochter 4

Dazzling Winter Views on the West Drumochter 4

by jupe1407 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:11 pm

Route description: A' Mharconaich and Geal Chàrn, Drumochter

Munros included on this walk: A' Mharconaich, Beinn Udlamain, Geal-chàrn (Drumochter), Sgàirneach Mhòr

Date walked: 27/02/2016

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 1149m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Dazzling Winter Views on the West Drumochter 4

Postby Jeremiah Johnson » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:51 pm

Stunning photos. Did all but two of the Drumochter hills in January this year and saw nothing!! It was great to see them in glorious winter conditions.
Jeremiah Johnson
Mountain Walker

Munros:156   Corbetts:50
Fionas:21   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:5   

Postby rockhopper » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:25 pm

" 's no[w]" fair.... :wink: you get 4 munros for 1149m .v. my 1,700m for 2 corbetts :crazy: :roll: :wink: ...but seriously, great photos as ever and a cracking day to be up there - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby jupe1407 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:57 pm

rockhopper wrote:" 's no[w]" fair.... :wink: you get 4 munros for 1149m .v. my 1,700m for 2 corbetts :crazy: :roll: :wink: ...but seriously, great photos as ever and a cracking day to be up there - cheers :)

Thanks Rockhopper. 1700m? That may have have killed me :lol:

Jeremiah Johnson wrote:Stunning photos. Did all but two of the Drumochter hills in January this year and saw nothing!! It was great to see them in glorious winter conditions.

Thanks JJ - I've always tried to save these hills for nice crisp winter days. :D
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby DavidShepherd » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:54 am

Wow, this looks amazing! Nice going :)
Heading up there on Sunday hopefully, looking forward to getting thigh deep in snow!
DavidShepherd
Mountain Walker

Munros:167   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:5

Postby Magoo82 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:03 pm

Good stuff. I remember doing Geal Charn when we were still just getting to grips with the winter stuff a few years ago and we got a similarly good day for it. I've been up one more time since then with my brother last year, again in winter, but in a raging tempest with no views.

You're obviously the Drumochter weather charm!
Magoo82
Mountain Walker

Munros:220   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:2   Islands:15

Postby jupe1407 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:37 pm

Magoo82 wrote:Good stuff. I remember doing Geal Charn when we were still just getting to grips with the winter stuff a few years ago and we got a similarly good day for it. I've been up one more time since then with my brother last year, again in winter, but in a raging tempest with no views.

You're obviously the Drumochter weather charm!

Aye that was a cracking day, and is still right up there in terms of my favourite hill days. Remember Ed almost sledging on top of that cornice? :lol:

I've certainly been lucky with Geal Charn, brilliant winter conditions three times now, and no bad views when I did it last May with the other half.

DavidShepherd wrote:Wow, this looks amazing! Nice going :)
Heading up there on Sunday hopefully, looking forward to getting thigh deep in snow!

Cheers David. Unless there's a snowfall this week, you shouldn't have much thigh deep snow There were a few wee holes lower down on Sgairneach Mhor, but elsewhere it was mostly satisfyingly crunchy stuff :D
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland