walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Heaven in Glen Orchy - A Corbett Duo!!

Heaven in Glen Orchy - A Corbett Duo!!

Postby dooterbang » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:13 pm

Route description: Beinn Udlaidh and Beinn Bhreac-liath, Glen Orchy

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Bhreac-liath, Beinn Udlaidh

Date walked: 27/02/2016

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 1300m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The weekend promised blue skies, sunshine, & little wind...and for once it was spot on :D My initial plan was to escape up the NW Coast but I had an engagement in town Saturday evening which meant keeping things relatively local. I plumped for the two Glen Orchy Corbett's

Left Glasgow 6.30am and was suited and booted and off I went on my merry way at 08.30am, and then disaster struck!! Took my first photo only to be reminded that my internal memory was full...I'd left my SD Card at home!! What a rookie!! Thankfully I had a spare, phew...such a pro :wink:

Head SE for over 1km on pathless boggy terrain to the foot of BBL then South up the shoulder for another 2k to the summit cairn. Once you gain the ridge proper it's a delightful wander on a wide plateau for just under 2k to the summit cairn...the 360 degree views are just awesome!!

Beinn Udlaidh West - The Next Target

The majestic Ben Lui

Beinn an Dothiadh & Beinn Doran

Sat on the summit for a while milking the views and having a bite to eat. It appeared I was the only person on these hills, it would stay that way for the remainder of the day :D 8)

I now headed SW for 2k to attain BU's ridge. The descent was fine with, just had to be mindful of some crags. The pull up to the ridge was a joy, the sun belting off my face...which would resemble a tomato by the end of Sunday!!

Once on the ridge proper the views across to Ben Lui really open up, it's then a lovely jaunt North for 1k to reach the summit.

And before long I was posing on the summit cairn of BU :lol:

These two Corbett's make up a cracking little outing, better still when you have complete solitude. Can't beat being on a mountain alone taking in the views, brings a sense of calm and peace to the soul :)

Made it back to Glasgow and managed to hit the town, I only had two beers though...I had an early rise and more walking ahead of me tomorrow :wink:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Re: Heaven in Glen Orchy - A Corbett Duo!!

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:20 pm

Nice hills cracking day again, your summit pose on Bu looks like your steaming and I don't mean drunk. How did you make that effect? Or had you not noticed, lol
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:17 am

Was ón these couple weeks back ,dry n sunny spells ......not as good as this day and bealach was full of snow very tiring :wink:

Some photos again
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby litljortindan » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:19 pm

Great set of pictures. Maybe I should not have played football on Friday so that I could have gone walking on Saturday. Missed out on that day but managing to live it vicariously by reading through all the reports!
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland