walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Two very different Loch Ness Subs

Two very different Loch Ness Subs

Postby rob munbett » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:09 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Creag nan Clag, Tom Bailgeann

Date walked: 03/03/2016

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was a beautiful still, chilly day, so it was a short drive down from Inverness to have a morning walk on these two hills. I decided on Creag nan Clag first because it looked to be the most interesting, Tom Bailgeann being just a trudge up a track. I turned off the B 862 down a minor road to park at NH602291, under the imposing crags of the hill.
P1020962.JPG
The NE facing crags from the road
From the car it was, at first, a stroll up through low heather and bracken but this soon steepened and my rising traverse was on short cropped, mossy, very slippery grass on which I had a few slips and slides.
P1020965.JPG
Looking back down to the car from the slippery slopes
Coming around to the left edge of the crags, I found a very interesting route up on to the plateau following a line under a rocky over-hang. Freezing meltwater was pouring down here and I had to tuck in tight to the face to avoid a soaking.
P1020971.JPG
The way up under the over-hang (summit left)
After a brief sit to admire the view, it was over a fence and into the first snow of the day and after a few easily kicked steps it was up on to the summit plateau. There was a small cairn over to the right but, clearly, this was not the top which was down through a shallow dip and up again to a rocky knoll with no cairn.
P1020969.JPG
View towards summit
P1020967.JPG
On the summit looking over to Tom Bailgeann
Since my time was limited and I wanted to get up the other hill, I decided on nothing fancy and just headed back down the same route, with one unintentional bum slide on the aforementioned grassy slope.
P1020970.JPG
The route of descent

Back in the car, I drove round to park up for the next hill. Since it was extremely difficult to leave the car at the start to the track up the hill, I decided to park on the B862 at NH597307 from where it was a short stroll back along the road to the start of the ascent. A farmer I passed seemed to approve of my decision. There is a track up this hill all the way to the top but it was so eroded and peaty in places, it was better, at times, to take to the snowy hillside and walk there.
P1020972.JPG
On the way up looking over to Creag nan Clag
Soon, I was approaching the very cluttered trig area with mast and cabins etc. There were a couple of cairns off to the right so I decided to visit them to see if the view down Loch Ness was better and it was, marginally.
P1020974.JPG
Approaching the trig and mast, cairns over to the right
P1020976.JPG
View from the cairn down Loch Ness
It was a very easy return to the car. All in all, a very pleasant morning.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

Re: Two very different Loch Ness Subs

Postby AdamMcBean » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:13 pm

Some nice photos. Have done bailgeann a few times now and its a nice walk
Was meaning to do the hill opposite but never really saw a route up. Will follow your track now i think.

You should do Stac gorm next - its awesome
AdamMcBean
Hill Bagger

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:5   

Re: Two very different Loch Ness Subs

Postby rob munbett » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:05 pm

I had a walk up Stac Gorm last autumn when I was visiting Inverness. You're right - it is a wee cracker!
rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland