walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Winter Camp - Summit of Ben A'an

Winter Camp - Summit of Ben A'an

Postby Steven001 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:40 am

Route description: Ben A'an

Date walked: 06/03/2016

Time taken: 1 hours

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It had seemed like months since I was last out with my camera, I've been itching to get out and take some winter photos for weeks! The last few tips I have focused on the actual walk, but this time I wanted to focus on photography.

On Sunday night, I decided to go on a winter wild camp on the summit of Ben A'an in the Trossachs, Aberfoyle. As usual, I was in a mad rush and didn't arrive at the car park until 5pm. There is a diversion in place due to forestry work going on and an alternative route has been added starting from the Ben Venue car park.

I set off the very boggy path about 5:15pm and was worried I wouldn't get to the top before sunset. I wasn't feeling 100% fit due to having the cold, but I managed to make good progress and arrived at the summit just a shade after 6pm. The walk itself was pretty straight forward, there are plenty of signposts on the diversion and once out of the forest, there is a boulder staircase (quad killers) all the way to the top.

I quickly set up camp and managed to pitch my tent just as the sun had set: (quick phone snap)

By the time I had set up camp, the sun had set without event and it very quickly became bitterly cold. I set about making myself some dinner and quickly retired into the sleeping bag where I stayed for most of the night! It was a freezing cold night, easily bellow -5 and it even snowed a little. I had a terrible nights sleep and woke up every 30 minutes shivering, regretting my decision to camp and dreaming of my warm bed! (my bad nights sleep was due to a leaking sleeping mat, meaning I was sleeping virtually on the ground). I eventually got out my bed just after 5am, brewed up a hot chocolate and waited on the sun rising.

People ask me why I would want to spend the night in a tent, in winter, in the middle of nowhere when I have a house to stay in. I often wonder if they would understand if they too woke up to a view like this:

ImageFirst light by Steven Fergus, on Flickr

That image was taken just as the sun had started to rise bellow the horizon. Everything still looked very blue apart from the bright orange glow in the distance.

The sun continued to rise behind the mountains and light up the sky

ImageBen A'an Sunrise by Steven Fergus, on Flickr

Once the sun was up, Ben Venue looked incredible

ImageBen Venue by Steven Fergus, on Flickr

And finally looking back down towards the Loch

It was a beautiful morning but bitterly cold on the summit, I would've like to have spent more time taking photographs but my hands were numb! I made myself a coffee, packed up and had a lovely walk in the sunshine back to the car.

I definitely need to invest in a new sleeping mat! :wink:
Steven001

Munros:79   Corbetts:15
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Re: Winter Camp - Summit of Ben A'an

Postby dt27348 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:23 pm

Great series of photographs from the summit. Almost worth spending the night up there - almost but not quite as far as I am concerned. At my stage in life I like my comfort.
:wink:
Dave
dt27348
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:167
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:24

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:22 pm

Fabulous pics. They answer with silent eloquence the rhetorical question: why spend the night on a freezing cold mountain??? :clap: :clap: :clap:

BTW I can only see the Flikr pics, not the others - there's just a dot on the screen where the pic should be. Are they picture files, or links to a photo sharing site???
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Steven001 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:58 pm

dt27348 wrote:Great series of photographs from the summit. Almost worth spending the night up there - almost but not quite as far as I am concerned. At my stage in life I like my comfort.
:wink:
Dave

Haha thanks Dave.
Steven001

Postby Steven001 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:59 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Fabulous pics. They answer with silent eloquence the rhetorical question: why spend the night on a freezing cold mountain??? :clap: :clap: :clap:

BTW I can only see the Flikr pics, not the others - there's just a dot on the screen where the pic should be. Are they picture files, or links to a photo sharing site???

Thank you very much!

That's strange, they are uploaded to Photobucket (I tent to keep the better ones for Flickr). I'm not sure why they're not showing, they're working on my side. Is anyone else having trouble viewing them?
Steven001

Postby Aldo_2M0TXY » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:38 am

Steven, thanks for sharing your experiences on Ben A'an. I'm thinking of doing this over the summer, you can keep the minus 5 nights all to yourself lol.

Great photographs!

Cheers,

Aldo.
Aldo_2M0TXY
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:5
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:2   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland