walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An unexpected struggle.

An unexpected struggle.

Postby teaandpies » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:51 pm

Grahams included on this walk: Beinn Chaorach, Cruach an t-Sidhein

Date walked: 05/03/2016

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 14.3 km

Ascent: 1252m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A few days off work had started with a wee walk up Ben Bowie on the 3rd and now again I was about to get out for another local walk. This would be my third visit to the Luss hills in 4 weeks and hopefully my last....

It was the plan to walk the last 3 Grahams following 'RTMcB's' route and Pieplough would be joining me for his first walk of the year. I drove to the station to pick him up but the train was late so I had to spend an extra 25 minutes in a parking space that I hadn't paid for. Clyde 1 was on letting me know that the traffic was flowing freely in between some retro songs.

The sun was splitting the sky and I was keen to get going. HURRY UP TRAIN!

There were already a few cars parked up as we eventually arrived at the entrance of the Dam. Got ourselves ready to go.

At this gate there's a sign that says 'Path to Glen Luss'. Could somebody tell me where it goes from here? I couldn't see it at any point on my walk today.

Looking across the reservoir to Beinn a'Mhanaich.

The hill on Arran starting to show themselves. When crossing that stile watch out for barbed wire, I had cut myself on it but didn't realise how bad it was until I got home and sat on my white sofa :(

My phone camera doesn't do it any justice but Arran was looking incredible.

The up slog seemed never ending, struggling so early into a walk isn't a good sign.

Again, looking to Beinn a'Mhanaich.

After what felt like an eternity we were on the approach to the summit of Beinn Chaorach. We could see other walkers on the hills, a group of 3 away across on Creag an Leinibh a larger group on Beinn Eich and a lone walker on the long approach to Beinn a'Mhanaich but funny enough we didn't bump into anybody during the walk.

There's a small cairn just before the trig point. You get some cracking early views.

Pieplough at the trig point with a whole spread of much larger hills all across the horizon looking fantastic.

Me enjoying the view.

After visiting the first hill of the day it was time to set off for the next, Cruach an t-Sidhein right in the centre of the image.

Looking over Doune Hill and beyond.

The walk off Chaorach was ok, steep in parts. We decended fairly fast to get out of the freezing wind before sitting down to have a spot of lunch. Our next hill seemed so far away.

The walk over the rough ground was tough going. It was boggy in between large tufts of grass making walking difficult, we weren't really able to find a natural stride. The stream crossings were easy thankfully. Once at the base of our next target it was decided that our aim should be to reach the dig between Beinn Lochain and Cruach, keeping to the left of that crack.

Again, finding the going tough on the up hill section we could hardly get going, stopping and starting all the time. The sun was out but the air was cold and every breath filled the lungs with sharp cold air that felt like it was stripping the lining off my throat as it did so.

Pieplough getting ready to move off again with Beinn a'Mhanaich looking pretty intimidating in the background. It's a very impressive looking hill viewed from here.

The toil to the bealach was rewarded with some cracking views to the Arrochar Alps, which again, my phone can't do justice.

There was still a good bit of climbing from the bealach to the summit and yeah, it's steep. The snow didn't help, the wind neither. I put my jacket on, the hood up and just trudged my way up to the top...really, really, slowly.

Pigplough had opened a gap on me at this point had got to the summit a couple of minutes before me, he was already enjoying the views.

We decided that we weren't going to attempt Beinn a'Mhanaich (seen in the below image), the climb looked like it was going to be full on and the day had really gotten away from us, where had the time gone?

A couple of Summit shots, the last of the day.

Looking to the Arrochar Alps.

Pigplough enjoying the view in this very staged picture :lol:

A wee shot down the loch.

We stated our descent down the south side of the hill, this was preferable as it allowed us to avoid the nasty wind. It was taxing on the knees however and the next thing I knew Pigplough planted himself on his arse. Good idea, I joined him. We formulated a plan for walking out, there's only really 2 options, go over Beinn a'Mhanaich or skirt around it. We were going to skirt around it but try and keep some height so to shorten the walk. Time to get moving, the sun is starting to dip fast.

It took bloody ages to skirt the hill over the that soggy ground, very unpleasant, walking. Not much to report, sore legs dead sheep and a setting sun...oh and I couldn't stop singing a song I head on the radio I had heard while waiting on Pieplough's train, Fast Car by Tracy Chapman :shh:
By the time we got to the car it was dark and most of the cars were now gone bar 1 other, a couple were just getting ready to start there walk :crazy:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

teaandpies
Munro compleatist

Munros:94   Corbetts:17
Grahams:8   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:6

Re: An unexpected struggle.

Postby litljortindan » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:13 pm

Good views of the lochs to the west.
litljortindan
Mountaineer

Munros:115   Corbetts:58
Grahams:27   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland