walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Starav

Ben Starav

Postby kevsbald » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:11 pm

Route description: Ben Starav and Glas Bheinn Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Ben Starav

Date walked: 15/01/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had decided to give the work night out a miss on the Friday in the hope that I could get up early on what promised to be a fine but cold day in the glens. As I drove through Rannoch Moor, I was rewarded with an almost magical vista, with snow-clad mountains and completely frozen lochs, as dawn broke. I eventually came to rest down the far end of Glen Etive and donned hat and fleece as it was -5C at this point. The track down to Coiletir was like an ice rink and i seriously contemplated putting crampons at this stage. However, once on to the actual hill, I began the ascent, described in books as 'brutal' and '1000m straight up'. It was a good and firm path and progress was rapid. Within an hour, I was more than halfway up and looking forward to bagging Glas Bhein Mhor too. What I hadn't reckoned on was that at 700m, the 4-5 inches of snow would become 2-3 feet of snow and instead of following the footsteps, I'd be striking out and up on my own, with no tracks to follow. I can honestly say that the next 2 hours of slog were the most arduous on a hill I have so far endured. Several times I would plunge through snow up to my thigh and have to extract myself in a desperate fashion. As I began to near the summit, I was aware of the narrowing precipice, with several cornices not far away. At 1230 (4 hours after setting off!!), I topped out and took this rather knackered shot of myself. No way was I going to do GBM. I descended almost immediately as there really isn't much room at the top of Ben Starav - it is beautifully exposed and rewards great views but my body was telling me to get down as I was buggered. The descent back down was a test of concentration and I was glad when I eventually got back to the car. Brutal is the correct word for it. In summer I imagine it's much easier but when she's fully clad with snow, it becomes a real test of fitness. Two days later, I can reflect and think it was a fab day but the muscles ache big-time.
Benstarav.jpg
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:274   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: Ben Starav

Postby mountain coward » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:27 am

I haven't seen that particular ascent called 'brutal' but I have seen that word applied to the direct ascent of the hillside above Coiletir to do Stob Coire an Albannaich. I went up your route in summer in 80degF or more and found it pretty hard but maybe it was just the heat - there certainly wasn't any snow though - it was June. I just thought it was long/went on a bit. Or maybe I just wasn't fit enough;-)
mountain coward

Postby doogz » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:18 am

may i ask when you done this ....cant seemto see a date ..lots of snow around sowasnt too recent i take it :)

cheers m8

doogz 8) 8)
doogz

Postby kevsbald » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:09 am

Hi guys,

I smirked at the 'brutal' tag and I consider myself pretty quick on the hill.
I did the Ben Lomond race in May so I knew I was fit. But the snow was deep from 2000ft up and I was floundering up the last 400ft. Maybe I'm not as fit as I thought I was :(

Doogz, did this on the 7th December - well spotted. Hoping we'll get more days like this over the next few weeks but dinnae hud yer bref this weekend.

Kev
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Postby monty » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:08 pm

Good report. Sounds realy steep and dare I say dodgy.

I haven't done anything as hard for a long time although I have done Aonach ridge on a nice sunny day 4 years ago. That was my first munro (I haven't yet added these two munros to my map yet) bagging since ben nevis in the 80's.

The munros I have done last year and this year have seemed quite tame by comparison to Ben Starav but then I suppose the snow didn't help. There was snow on Mount Keen and schehallion when I done them recently but if the snow is any deeper than 6 inches I put my skis on and head back down lol.

:D
monty

Postby kevsbald » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:29 pm

Hi Monty,

not that I'm that experienced but it is amazing how much a good covering of snow (or the threat of it) can transform a gentle hill-walk to something a bit more adventurous, especially with the short daylight hours. However, the clarity of the air and mountains covered in snow in Winter can't be beaten for photos unless of course you're lucky enough to get a cloud inversion. Only happened once to me though.

Cheers
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland