walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lost on Lank Rigg

Lost on Lank Rigg

Postby The English Alpinist » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:16 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Crag Fell, Grike

Date walked: 17/02/2016

Time taken: 3.75

Distance: 15.5 km

Ascent: 729m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

0 Lost.JPG
'Somewhere' around Whoap.

Buoyed by getting a lot accomplished on the previous 2 days, I stayed out there for a third day (slept in the car this time to save money). I deemed this a chance to get the remote trio of Grike, Crag Fell and Lank Rigg in. It's a dismal journey to make from Lancaster, especially when time and opportunity are limited for such journeys. There was low cloud all day, although it didn't rain/snow much. With cautious optimism (I did not know these parts), I set out. Grike and Crag proved easy to find, with well defined trails.

Lank Rigg looked like it should be easy enough. It wasn't. I've still not been able to work out how and where I drifted on the climb over Whoap (a small smooth peak en route, except I obviously was not en route by that point). My best theory is that I was following a path but not 'the' path, whilst knowing that it was not quite on the correct compass bearing. You know how it is - you keep expecting it to veer back. When it was obvious it hadn't, and wouldn't, I had the problem of working out where the hell I was. Worse still, I 'guestimated' a line to get me back onto Lank Rigg. I never got there. I don't know where I got. All I knew for sure was that the general direction back to the car had to be west, and If I gave up on Lank Rigg and just stuck to that then at least I'd be out of there and not wandering deeper and deeper into the fells (whereupon I might not have been able to judge even generally where to go).

Ironically, I was back in only slightly over the time I'd projected for the full successful walk. No Lank Rigg, however, although I'd located it for sure on the way down, by which time it was too late and I was too tired to head for it. It left a sour taste in my mouth as a conclusion to what could have been a perfect 3 days. I'd have to travel the 2 hours out there another time just for damn Lank Rigg. Why don't I just get GPS? Because I'm old-fashioned, a purist, and stubborn... or stupid if you prefer. I think there's something romantic about stumbling about with only a map and a little needle, even if doesn't feel like it at the time. The Wainwrights in Winter mission is back on. 25 walks done, probably will need 39 altogether. 6 weeks to go before the clocks change.

1 Forest.JPG
The approach to Grike.

2 Grike forestry.JPG
Changing times, from the pen of AW.

3 Grike summit.JPG
The summit of Grike. Wow.

4 Grike what.JPG
Great, isn't it?

5 Mast.JPG
A feature of interest en route to Crag Fell. What's this?

6 mast yes.JPG
Oh, it's a mast.

7 Crag thumb.JPG
It was going so well so far: Crag Fell successfully found.

8 Crag summit.JPG
Without the thumb this time (bit desperate for photos).

9 descend Crag.JPG
Descent of Crag Fell: definitely correct up to here...

10 Whoap Fell.JPG
Whoap supposed to be next, but I might be facing Iron Crag??

11 Whoap logs col.jpg
About to ascend Whoap (I thought).

12 Whoap shelter.JPG
Some shelter/sheep fold. I might have strayed all the way up to Iron Crag summit??

13 Lost.JPG
Lost.

14 lost selfie.JPG
A lost English Alpinist, so-called.

15 boulder.JPG
Never saw it.

16 finding down.JPG
Getting out of there on a compass bearing, which brought me here.

18 end road.JPG
Well, I emerged at the road exactly at the point planned!

19 annoyance.JPG
A big fail, requiring another visit to the glorious Lank Rigg.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The English Alpinist
Mountain Walker

Munros:56   Corbetts:11
Fionas:22   Donalds:18+10
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Lost on Lank Rigg

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:38 pm

I did these three in just about zero visibility about half way through my round, not sure I'd have found Lank Rigg without a GPS to be frank. You certainly didn't get to the top of Iron Crag unless you crossed the Ennerdale Wall at some point, it doesn't have a shelter, just a cairn. Perhaps you made it to the shelter shown on the Western spur of Caw Fell. I wouldn't be too upset with having to come back, the view from Crag Fell is superb, fingers crossed for a clear day next time.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby The English Alpinist » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:13 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:I did these three in just about zero visibility about half way through my round, not sure I'd have found Lank Rigg without a GPS to be frank. You certainly didn't get to the top of Iron Crag unless you crossed the Ennerdale Wall at some point, it doesn't have a shelter, just a cairn. Perhaps you made it to the shelter shown on the Western spur of Caw Fell. I wouldn't be too upset with having to come back, the view from Crag Fell is superb, fingers crossed for a clear day next time.

Interesting, and thanks. See my next upload though! Was not a better day next time, but at least I found it this time.
The English Alpinist
Mountain Walker

Postby ChrisW » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:02 am

Shame you missed out on Lank Rigg TEA but I see from the other post that you went back and got it anyway (with some fancy compass work to boot) Personally I use a GPS when I need to which isn't too often out here, but I always have my compass to fall back on :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby charking » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:17 pm

Enjoyed reading your reports of Lank Rigg before heading out there myself at the weekend.

Beautiful weather, blue sky and visibility out to the coast and beyond. And I had GPS. A real cheat!

I found your shelter / sheepfold - not Iron Crag, but rather about 400m south-west of Lank Rigg summit, just beyond the secondary summit. I have its coordinates and some nice pictures of it in good weather with Sellafield in the distance!
charking

Postby The English Alpinist » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:36 am

charking wrote:Enjoyed reading your reports of Lank Rigg before heading out there myself at the weekend.

Beautiful weather, blue sky and visibility out to the coast and beyond. And I had GPS. A real cheat!

I found your shelter / sheepfold - not Iron Crag, but rather about 400m south-west of Lank Rigg summit, just beyond the secondary summit. I have its coordinates and some nice pictures of it in good weather with Sellafield in the distance!

Now that's interesting!! I hope you will upload so I can see them! Can't believe I was so close,
The English Alpinist
Mountain Walker

Postby charking » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:02 pm

I waymarked this shelter at NY 08952 11679. At the time I was sure it was the same as your picture in the snow, but I must admit I'm now not so sure.
Attachments
shelter_on_lankrigg.jpg
Shelter on Lank Rigg
charking

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland