walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

3 Lowthers, Donalds & a Louise

3 Lowthers, Donalds & a Louise

Postby Fife Flyer » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:14 pm

Grahams included on this walk: Green Lowther

Donalds included on this walk: Dun Law, East Mount Lowther, Green Lowther, Lousie Wood Law, Lowther Hill

Date walked: 15/03/2016

Time taken: 5.75 hours

Distance: 24 km

Ascent: 1230m

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This 'little' walk has been a wee while in the planning and after reading/studying a few WR's I decided to follow Al's (weaselmaster) route, loosely. The plan I had hatched to save a few minutes was to take my bike to save walking the 3 miles or so along the A702. The bike was packed into the back of the car and I opted to leave earlyish to try and be ahead of the rush towards Edinburgh.
Left home at 7am and the latter part of the plan failed miserably, I joined the queue in Inverkeithing just to get onto the A90 and the Forth Road Bridge :( How commuters can endure that day in day out I have no idea :roll:
The parking spot was programmed into the Satnav and to my surprise I was guided along the M8 and as the queue was very long at Newbridge I was quite happy to go straight on :lol:
That was the good news, the bad news was I was taken round the houses after leaving M8 near Whitburn, mainly because of a road closure :( So a journey that should have taken an hour and a bit, took just over 2 hours :(
Once I reached Elvanfoot on the A702 I knew roughly where I ideally wanted to leave my bike, however as I drove along there was absolutely nowhere to either hide the bike or chain it to something. So that great idea was kicked into touch and I would just have to walk along the road :(
I found a nice parking spot right at the start of the walk, so after kitting up there was a nice handy sign showing the direction of the Southern Upland Way 8)

Image Nice little parking bay

The start of the walk was a bit of a bogfest, but as height is gained the ground firms up. There are plenty of marker posts to ensure that you don't wander off the Southern Upland Way 8)

Image Early shot looking back

Image Southern Upland Way marker post

Lowther Hill could be seen in the distance but it didn't seem to be getting any closer. Before you get close to Lowther Hill there are a few down's and up's to negotiate :lol:

Image Lowther in the distance

Image Nice view spoilt, you decide?

Image Not the sight we like, down then up

Image Looking back

Image Crawstone Snout, looks impressive

Image Arty shot of a post & Lowther Hill

Image More down & up, getting closer

Image Angle of ascent back up

Image Looking west

On the approach to Lowther I traversed round the side to avoid any extra ascent which took me across to a track that was clearly visible and heading in the direction of East Mount Lowther. It was about this time that the wind picked up quite a bit, the sun was still out, but it was hard going.

Image The route across to East Mount Lowther

I was a bit concerned about the time it had taken me so far, almost 2 hours and I had only reached one Donald and there were 4 more to visit :lol:

Image East Mount Lowther trig with Lowther Hill in the background

Image West

After a few photo's on East Mount Lowther I quickly set off downhill and picked up the tarmac road that takes you to the summit of Lowther Hill 8)

Image Looking across to Lowther Hill

Image Tarmac road, a real luxury

Image North towards the wee loch near Mossy Burn

After a few photo's on Lowther Hill it was back onto the tarmac road which then takes you directly to the summit of Green Lowther. Walking on tarmac between summits was a first for me and makes for rapid progress. I didn't see a single vehicle which explains why the tarmac was almost pristine 8)

Image Lowther Hill & the radar contraptions

Image Looking east

Image The road to Donald number 3

Image Looking back to Lowther Hill

As an ex Air Traffic Controller I suppose I should have been interested in all the technology on top of both hills, but I wasn't :lol: I was used to seeing the product at the other end - radar screen, far more interesting :wink:

Image Nearly at number 3

Image Trig on Green Lowther looking back to Lowther Hill

Image Looking NW towards Wanlockhead

Image Final shot of the paraphernalia

Image Wanlockhead & it's little pyramid

More photo's and off we go, bye bye tarmac and hello tufty grass. At this point I spotted what looked like a ramblers group in the distance, so I set off in pursuit :lol: :lol:

Image Large group zoomed

Image Ramblers heading down into Wanlockhead

Image More down and up

Image Large summit cairn on Dun Law looking towards the final hill of the day Louise Wood Law

Image Looking back to Green Lowther

Image Looking east(ish)

After going over White Law there is a bit of a drop down to Little Windgate Hass and it is rather steep, once at the bottom it was then a real struggle gaining the lost height up to Black Law. After a few stops to get my breath back once I reached the top of Black Law it was then pretty straight forward to reach the final summit of the day. I met a chap who was heading in the opposite direction so we had a wee chat and then continued on our way.

Image The drop down to Little Windgate Hass

Image Going down

The final summit of Louise Wood Law was reached and my 6 hour target was now looking pretty good as that was only 4 hours on the go 8)

Image A pretty sight?

Image Summit cairn on Louise Wood Law

Image Looking back to Green Lowther

Out of interest does anyone know who Louise Wood is/was? Was it a wood named after Louise? I did google it but came up with a blank :(

I knew the descent back to the road would be time consuming, especially as there would be no paths :lol:

Image The way down zoomed, cross the burn and then head to the right of the sheepfold

My plan was to head down the shoulder and cross the Glenochar Burn and then head towards the wee loch near Peden. I was undecided as to which side to pass by the loch, I noticed that Al passed to the north (according to his GPX route), my plan was to take the direct route which meant passing to the south of the loch.
My plan turned out to be quite a good decision - for a change, I was following a rough track made by some sort of vehicle and that brought me out just south of Peden.

Image The way ahead

Image The wee loch near Peden

Image The track I was following

It had taken me about an hour to reach the road, the sun was still shining and it was now just a matter of making sure I arrived back at the car in one piece. The A702 is not a busy road and I even carried out my own traffic census, there were 24 vehicles heading east and 22 heading west. I acknowledged all drivers who gave me plenty room, there was only one close (ish) shave and that was a vehicle heading west overtaking, luckily I had already moved onto the grass verge :roll:
I didn't take any photo's whilst walking along the road as it wasn't very exciting :lol:
The car was a welcome sight and it wasn't long before I was heading east 8)

Image Car looking a tad mucky and the turbines seem to get in all the photo's :lol:

Another great day in the Borders, my only concern is the spread of the wind turbines, they are like a bad rash and spreading in all directions.
Next for me is another Donald day, heading out on Saturday to the Ettricks to see if I can manage 6 Donalds. Loving these days in the Borders - very underrated :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:195   Corbetts:42
Grahams:22   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:120   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland