walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tullich Hill and Beinn Bhreac

Tullich Hill and Beinn Bhreac

Postby Benaden887 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:29 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Bhreac (Loch Lomond), Tullich Hill

Date walked: 21/11/2014

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 8.5 km

Ascent: 980m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sunday - Today I climbed Tullich hill and Beinn Bhreac thus completed the Luss hills. Being unable to drive up the A82 due to an earlier accident - I took the A814 to glen douglas, parked and kitted up. Signs either side of the cottages show ways to the hills - I took the one for Tullich. The going was firm and I made good time, passing higher up a small pool in between two upright blocks of stone - more of this later. A meal break on reaching the top - take in the scene before dropping past two lochans - an impressive 30mtr headwall left by landslip to the odd sounding wet col of An-t-Sreang. Last nights ground frost had now softened with the sun and from here I was bog trotting. A path across Reoch led to a col - then to the top of Bhreac. Strange weather - in a 360 degree turn - I could see the Luss hills with those to the West and North were clear - Stark against a bright backdrop of light - between the glens some held on to a small clutter of mist - from Cowal to Glen Croe - Arrochar to Ben More and down to Lomond to name a few- while to the East and South the lowlands and Arran were shrouded in cloud - inversion - so that higher ground stood out like islands in a sea - Amazing - what a day. A white object - that from high on Tullich, Id thought a boulder or tent - lower down was revealed as the only white cow in a small herd of eight - the others being the same reddish brown as the bracken they were lying in. A pair of ravens were back , (not sure but I think they`re following me around) made their presence felt each time I reached a top. - then - ha - landed one after the other on the trig point as if to show me where it was - unusual! - Both hills offer super veiwpoints to all corners, but really you`d need to be here on a day like today - clear. clean and fresh. A wet descent to the forest edge - the road ,the car and home . A web search designates the Tullich landslip as a "translational slide complex from a multple wedge source "- some mouthful - anyway that`s what caused the wee pool to form - I shoulda use my pole to fnd how deep it was. Slips and crevices are in plenty here and care would be required if covered in snow - Seen enroute, my ravens birds sheep dogs and folk but noone on the hill
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Benaden887
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:153   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:46
Wainwrights:39   
Walk wish-list

Re: Tullich Hill and Beinn Bhreac

Postby teaandpies » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:43 pm

This was my first walk of the year. I was a tad rusty to say the least :shock:

I also finished my Luss hills this week :thumbup:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Re: Tullich Hill and Beinn Bhreac

Postby Benaden887 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:04 am

teaandpies wrote:This was my first walk of the year. I was a tad rusty to say the least :shock:

I also finished my Luss hills this week :thumbup:

Well done to you :D
Benaden887
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:153   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:46
Wainwrights:39   
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland