walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Mor and Cruinn a Bheinn

Meall Mor and Cruinn a Bheinn

Postby Benaden887 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:43 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Cruinn a'Bheinn, Meall Mór (Loch Katrine)

Date walked: 15/05/2015

Time taken: 9.5 hours

Distance: 28.5 km

Ascent: 1270m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Friday - Meall Mor from Stronachlachar, Having purchased the SMC guide to the Grahams and Donalds, I decided to try out two of the routes - early start to Glen Arklet and from the pier on Loch Katrine I bike the tarmac road to glen gyle. A forestry track to the river and chain the bike to an iron gate. Cross a bridge of sleepers - skirt a fenced area then plough uphill to gain the top. Dead bracken made for rough passage - come summer this way would be a chore as it grows to the 500mt contour. It was cold with snow then hailstones as I climbed - bit of a bogtrot higher up with snowmelt and some still lying here. The cairn - a jumble of rocks - Views - the higher tops in cloud - Stob binnian More and the falloch hills hidden with Lomond far away.There are other tops I could do here but not today. Cloud is clearing on my way down and the sun is out. A number of cyclists come towards me - having taken the ferry up to bike the east side of the loch - Two ladies bikers pass me as if I was standing still - in my defence I was going uphill at the time. Back at my car, bike in the boot
and swop Katrine for Lomond....Seen enroute A golden eagle, three pair barnacle geese cross my path heading for water, birds ,deer two early morning runners and folk in boats fishing. .... Cruinn a Bheinn from Inversnaid - park at the hotel - took WHW beside the loch heading for the white cottage and access to the hillside. Passed many WH wayers exchanged craic with a six pack of Irish lads headin for Inveranan. Great fun. From the cottage a zigzag trail climbs to 350mt before dropping over to Loch Chon. Here I cross a watermeadow terrain to reach the drier slopes of Cruinn - a line of to be fence posts climb the hill - I with them, to reach the broad top and last cairn of the day. The sunshine had gone and the wind now cold - I see Ben Lomond north side still in snow - with a gully climbed many years ago - Ben Venue - still to do - The Loch Sloy hills- A lone vehicle on the track driving to the cottage - the way down followed the fence back to the track WHW , car and home.. Seen enroute ..Feral goats with kids above the cottage -met them again on the road home at Loch thom - Only signs of upland life were the animal tracks I followed and midges - ferrys were busy with trade - lots of people enjoying the day Mirror images on the lochs stunning! - so welcome to the Trossachs
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Benaden887
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:153   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:46
Wainwrights:39   
Walk wish-list

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland