walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glorious day for Coulter Fell

Glorious day for Coulter Fell

Postby dickens96 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:46 pm

Route description: Culter Fell circular, near Biggar

Fionas included on this walk: Culter Fell

Donalds included on this walk: Culter Fell

Date walked: 17/03/2016

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 748m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Set out from East Lothian in the mist and it got worse around Bonnyrigg. But I carried on and by the time I got to Biggar it was clearing. Followed the WH route up after parking at Culterallers Farm - a weekday so plenty of space.
P1030050.jpg
Start of the walk

The path is pretty clear all the way up although I did manage a detour or two on sheep tracks but got back on to the track past the grouse butts. Its steep and theres a wee scramble at the end of the grouse butts before it levels out towards Fell Shin. Funnily enough I found this bit worse on the way down - even with poles my knees were getting a bit jellified by the end. Despite the snow - now melted - it was fairly dry with only one or two small boggy bits on top of Fell Shin. Had a blether with a guy from Shotts at the trig point - he knows the hills around there well and pointed out some other good walks.
P1030063.jpg
Last haul to the trig point

Superb views - a good 60 to 80 miles to Ben Vorlich etc
P1030066.jpg
The distant PerthshireMunros

P1030058.jpg

P1030062.jpg

P1030059.jpg
Looking South East

P1030060.jpg

P1030054.jpg
Looking down the valley

P1030055.jpg
Looking to Tinto Hill

Went back the way I came - as I say a bit tricky on the steep section past the grouse butts.

Great sunny peaceful day!
dickens96
Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:2
Fionas:4   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:15   
Islands:5

Re: Glorious day for Coulter Fell

Postby kev_russ » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:16 am

Nice pics. I was across the road on Broad Law the day before. Claggy but atmospheric.
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland