walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Venue

Ben Venue

Postby Benaden887 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:50 pm

Route description: Ben Venue from Ledard Farm

Grahams included on this walk: Ben Venue

Date walked: 23/06/2015

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Tues.early start. The Loch Ard path for Ben Venue - from here the mighty Forth river begins the journey towards the east coast. 0730 I cross the bridge just before Ledards farm and head on up thro the tree to open hillside.Clouds of insects rise in the sun and the day is warming up to the tune of birdsong. I stop as the top waterfall is reached for a looksee.- there`s a fair amount of flow coming down - this adds worth to the walk. Higher up iron rails cross the burn - here I take a break and become aware the bird calls have stopped - the culprit - a raptor sits high on the stepladder that crosses the deer fence - lookes dark brown with the sun behind him then with a flash of wing - now grey - the bird zooms back down the glen. I cross both water then fence as life returns to normal with a swallow flitting around me swooping to claim the insects rising as I move.The glen widens with Sika spruce trees to my left. Boggy now until I gain the muddy col between Beinn Breac - a graham top and Creag a`Bhealaich. Behind me the glen narrows to trees loch and forest - ahead I can see the twin tops of Venue the sweep of the corrie down to loch Katrine the land and hills beyond. A traverse from here skirts the hillside . breasts a top then dips to where large cairn marks the meet with the path up from Achray.I climb an eroded line to the first top with its clutch of stones before down across and up to a lightening blasted trig point just holding together.Sounds of the Trossach steamer being readied drift from the drop below- I will see it on the loch on my return.. What a viewpoint ! across the glen Ben Aan - my first multi pitch climb -Forests and lochs mirror reflective laid out before me - wood clearing - squad of guys sorting the road - the higher peaks some still holding snow - awesome - but the midges are out in force so my pitstop is brief - it`s time to go. On the way down I natter - with a guy on the Achray route - on the traverse with a woman an dog - a brief interlude before her kids come home from school - two singletons and a German couple to whom I gave my printed map. So thro the trees to road and car - Thought of Creag Mhor - but it can wait for another day - temp 22degrees - change - debunk gear to the boot and head home .. Seen enroute - birds geese deer - all kind of insects - tadpoles skaters and lizards - Path dryish going up wet coming down. views great- weather hot -
midges aplenty
Benaden887
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:153   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:46
Wainwrights:39   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland