walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr nan Gillean via Pinnacle ridge and Am Basteir

Sgurr nan Gillean via Pinnacle ridge and Am Basteir

Postby Benaden887 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:29 pm

Munros included on this walk: Am Basteir, Sgùrr nan Gillean

Date walked: 15/06/2013

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1010m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Kmc was at Skye last weekend while some members enjoyed Blabheinn - Mike Ian Ken and I did Pinnacle ridge on Sgurr nan Gillean - a 600m difficult graded climb over five pinnacles involves a 22m absail from the third one Knight`s peak and here the rain started. On Gillean - the sun returned as I touched the cairn - greeting an old friend for my seventh time. Then down thro the hole in the wall - absail Nicolson`s chimney onto the col of Am Basteir - up the slabs and over the bad step - the rain began again heavier this time. The clag had rolled into Harta corrie giving a wall of cotton wool cloud to our left yet clear views to our right, absolutley stunning. A 3rd absail onto the Tooth was ruled out with the rock now wet and slippy proving to be a good judgement call, for back at the col hailstones rattled down on us giving a scramble for the waterproofs. Then down into the corrie over the boulders of the gorge to gain the path and after a wet plod eventually the Slighan for some welcome refreshment - well done to those who were with me - I trust they enjoyed the trip - but hey ! never again
Benaden887
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:153   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:46
Wainwrights:39   
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland