walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ettrick pen an all

Ettrick pen an all

Postby Benaden887 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:44 pm

Grahams included on this walk: Capel Fell, Croft Head, Ettrick Pen

Donalds included on this walk: Capel Fell, Croft Head, Ettrick Pen, Wind Fell

Date walked: 17/10/2013

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 1340m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Friday 11Oct Day two - Ettrick Glen - working here building new logging tracks with heavy earth moving equipment. Head to Phawhope bothy for a looksee then did the round of Ettrick Pen - Wind Fell - LochFell - crossing the SUW for Croft Head - Chapel Fell and on to join the right of way from Moffat glen to Potburn and the car. A cold driech start gave way to sun in the afternoon. Seen enroute over the two days - sheep, pheasants, grouse and quail on the lower slopes on day one. At Kelsocleugh farm a diversion track skirts a wooded area that has a fence of high netting placed around the base - a rearing ground for game birds - on reaching the passing gate I saw a young sparrowhawk on the ground against the net with a wing splayed out, obviously hurt. I dropped my sack intending to throw my jacket over the bird - then seek assistance, but it skittered past me into dense bracken that covered the slope and was gone. Being I hadn`t seen anyone at the two farms I`d passed and given the stock they were breeding, I reasoned there would be little help in the way of saving the bird and so let nature take its course - but it put a real damper on my day. Nice views below the clag but higher up, little to see bar for the two guys at the Cheviot who loomed out the mist looking as wet as I did. Day two, spooked a deer from the woods on the way up and saw it later in the corrie still bounding away from me - two hillrunners racing up Croft head and the site workers bringing more rock for the roads, but mostly I had the hills to myself, so enjoyed the solitude and really the weather is only bad if you`re not dressed for it
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Benaden887
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:153   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:46
Wainwrights:39   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland