walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Balquidder roamings

Balquidder roamings

Postby Benaden887 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:56 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Stob Breac, The Stob

Date walked: 05/07/2015

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 1200m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Friday-Weather forecast gives good dry day after a nights rain. I leave the M9 for Balquhidder- it`s misty - cars with lights on- turn off A84 onto single track road to Inverlochlarig -slow for five Highland cows followed by a massive bull before reaching the carpark. Stob Breac lies between the Corbetts of Stob a Choin and Beinn Stacach - both done from here many years ago with Alan. Clag about 100m above Loch Voil so a mucky tromp expected. Ground sodden - I follow the track- water drips from the trees as I cross bridges over burn and river to an open gate and the forest. The southern slopes of Voil are heavy wooded. Up zigzags to where I turn East and later reach the burn and forest break that takes me to the top. Here I am assailled by midges flies and clegs - time for the midge net. A steady climb pass three waterfalls - the last a problem with trees on both side and a wet 4m wall to climb - shorten the sticks and use like axes to climb gains safe ground. 480m - open ground with a wet plod to the top and a breeze. The midges are gone but the flies hang on. Not much to see here - tops still in cloud - sun breaking thro so a swift reversal of route - an hour reaches the car. By now the sun is out Air hot and the mist has gone. Shed boots socks and top sees my clothes drying on the car bonnet. It`s that funny time of day when everything stops for tea - windows in the car are down boot open to dispell the heat - not a beastie to be seen. I munch - drink and toy with thoughts of home - a wash -clean socks- the top now dry - I drive to and park by the track for Gleann Crotha. The Stob runs N/S being the high point of a ridge between Monachyle glen and Gleann Crotha on the braes of Balquhidder - Rob Roy country - this being the shortest route. The forest track with two gates wends uphill then bends into the glen making for easy passage. There`s been much tree clearing here and the hoped for leafy walk was not on - odd pockets of trees give brief respite but at least my boots are drying out. Across the glen the bulk of the Stob looks impressive and far away - but I`ve seen this illusion before and hello!! the flies and clegs are back. The track end at 450m - 300m to go - Forest to my left open hillside ahead and right. I follow the fence line on a boggy trek until it rises thro bracken to a rocky notch on the skyline and then via a stoney ridge to the striking cairn that is The Stob. (Meal na Frean) some view ! Ben More the shave top of Stob Bininein Meall Glas Sgiath Chuil Heasgarnich Ghaordaodh and the Lawers group Vorlich and Ledi - the air is clean with a nice wind - I fill my lungs eat my roll and with one last lookabout head back down. Just short of the last gate - Sika deer - doe and fawn are on the track - I slow my speed - the doe sees me - leaps uphill over the drainage channel into the ferns. - the fawn sees the mother has gone - then me - runs down track to hide in the drain ditch. I slowly walk the far side so not frighten the fawn and can just make it out lying doggo.
Magic way to end my day . Seen enroute 4x4s on narrow roads people sheep birds insects moths butterflies winged beetles dragonflies lizards frog and deer - pleased I hung around
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Benaden887
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:153   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:46
Wainwrights:39   
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland