walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lui Central Gully on a Perfect Day....

Ben Lui Central Gully on a Perfect Day....

by wilkiemurray » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:48 pm

Route description: Ben Lui and Beinn a'Chlèibh

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chlèibh, Ben Lui

Date walked: 19/03/2016

Time taken: 5 hours

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Ben Lui Central Gully on a Perfect Day....

Postby dav2930 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:17 pm

Superb. Looks like you caught the gully in really good nick - perfect neve! Well done. :clap:

When I did this back in 1999 the snow was very unconsolidated, giving little purchase for the axe (a single walking one). The cornice at the top was an overhanging nightmare of soft powder that took me ages to dig through. :crazy: It was unquestionably a dangerous situation and I should have reserved this fine climb for the right conditions - as you had.

Great photos and the drone shots in your video are very impressive. :clap: :clap:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby seamus0 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:10 pm

Awesome shots and video! I was out Meall Glas that day taking shots of Ben Lui from a distance and the inversion, fantastic day out! Looks like you had perfect conditions for the gully! How you manage to control a drone and climb I'll never know :-)
seamus0
Munro compleatist

Munros:138   Corbetts:2

Postby katyhills » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:21 pm

Just stunning - yet again! Running out of superlatives for these brilliant reports!

Fabulous photos. Very jealous.... :wink:
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Emmanuelle » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:12 pm

Splendid. I love the shot of the cloud slowly pouring into the gully, like a cauldron of magic potion! Beautiful.
Emmanuelle
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:78
Fionas:6   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:4   
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Sgurr » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:57 pm

Wow and double wow. Beats Sgurr Marcasaidh where we were Marilyn bagging....and West Lomond where I bumped into you.
We've climbed through an inversion in the area, I think it was on a Corbett, maybe the cloud hangs around the hills round there a lot. Only thing lacking was a Brocken Spectre.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

17 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland