walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lomond - Made It This Time!

Ben Lomond - Made It This Time!

Postby ceebeeby » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:46 am

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 25/07/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

14 whole days she has been smugly grinning down on me, laying down the challenge to try again if I dared! Check out the walks diary that says "Failed Summit" and you'll see the weather beat me (off??) at the top - and as I wasn't wearing a parachute, was safer to throw in the towel and turn back .... Hmmmm, now, how much would I have given for a towel on that last wet soggy day!

Okay, so this is Ben Lomond take 2 (fourth attempt, and current score at the beginning is Ben L 2: Me 1 - but 20 years ago!)

This time, checked every available weather forecast (amazing how they're so variable!) and decided that there was going to be no rain from 10:30 onwards, so would start from Rowardennan Car-Park at 11.00.

Scooted through the foliage, gurning at the rock where I slipped last time (and said goodbye forever to a lovely flask containing home-made mushroom soup!) and strode up and into the sunshine .... nope stop! That's in my dreams! Strode out into the white cloud, with grey clouds looming and rain clouds in the distance. Visability - well, could see my feet, and this time they were dry! Managed to get a few shots down the Loch (Glasgow side - I'm sure there's a technical term for this) in between the clouds, and when I work out how, I'll add them in!

DSC02432.JPG

Carried on up the hill, playing follow-the-leader with another group of walkers who, like me were on a Sunday afternoon stroll in the park, and not into running up a mountain (DID YOU SEE HER??? THAT'S GOTTA BE SHOWING OFF REALLY HASN'T IT :lol: By the way - I'm only saying that out of jealousy :D !)

My diabetic companion was trying out the Lucozade Sports methodology of keeping sugars level and it worked a treat - lot less icky than having to eat 4 Mars Bars! Stopped for coffee round about the Princess Chair (the big rock in the middle of the path) before going for the 30 minute slog for the summit. Views were terrific!!!

DSC02459.JPG

Got to the top and had a fall about laughing moment with two chaps up there (who were waiting for their wives) when another couple offered to photograph us all together - hmmm, that would've taken some explaining to hubby! I guess you had to be there!

Got down n' cosy with fleece, gloves, hat, scarf to enjoy a scrummy picnic at the top (companion makes the most smashing sarnies - Dairylea and sundried tomato - wow!) before setting off for the walk-down.

And that's when the skies totally cleared - white cloud went away, views for miles and miles all around. Was tempted to go down the Ptarmigan, but didn't have a map with me and didn't want to just guess it, so went back down the same slope as came up. Got a goregous face tan (okay - rudolph would like it 8) and legs got a wee bit o' colour too - who needs the Med!

DSC02461.JPG

DSC02465.JPG

DSC02467.JPG

My one teensy eensy criticism of some of the walkers on the Ben, was this thing about stopping (and sitting) in the middle of the path to rest a while, instead of using grass side boulders. Saw a couple of people nearly landed on as a result, and one poor lady went flying when a downcoming walker knocked her (no angry words allowed on Mountains please!!), oh, and everyone who kept telling me the bar at the top sold G&T ... fibbers!

So, finally got to the bottom and did that mad dash to the loo for the everlasting pee thing (you have to be a lady who has given birth to children to understand this need!) - is that too much information in a walks diary :o and then made way to the car. Was set upon by a swarm of small buzzy things (the Ben's revenge??) so murdered as many as possible and set off along the banks to a less invaded place to enjoy a final post-walk coffee!

Where next?

So, the score now: Ben Lomond 2 : Me 2

YIPPEEEEEEE x
ceebeeby
Mountain Walker

Munros:10   

Re: Ben Lomond - Made It This Time!

Postby mountain coward » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:34 am

Well done - I've had a couple of mountains which have kept me at bay for a few attempts - it's very annoying isn't it! And yes, those people who have to sit along the path on the way annoy me too - no idea why they sit in the middle of it!
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland