walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben A'An

Ben A'An

Postby harkinchristopher » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:58 pm

Route description: Ben A'an

Date walked: 20/03/2016

Distance: 3.7 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After walking Ben Chonzie the day before and waking up to find we had somehow managed two days of cracking weather this weekend, we wanted to head out for a quick climb up this favourite where we knew we'd get some cracking views.

Although the normal route up is still technically closed, both the Ben A'An and Ben Venue car parks were full of cars with walkers heading up both routes.

Having not walked this one in a while, I'd forgotten how steep the first section of this was. The path had a lot of scree making it slightly slippy. Looking back, there were great views over Loch Achray and Duke's Pass in the background.
thumb_IMG_3696_1024.jpg
View back towards Loch Achray

Soon the summit came into view as the path began to level out before the final steeper 'stepped' section towards the summit. Despite stopping regularly to take in the view/take photographs, we still reached the summit in just over an hour.
thumb_IMG_3699_1024.jpg
Ben A'an

If I can put my 'moany' hat on for a second: the one downside to the great weather and short climb was how busy the summit was. I think being spoiled by being the only people at the summit of Ben Chonzie the day before made the business and noise of Ben A'An slightly different!
thumb_IMG_3704_1024.jpg
Summit, lots of people!

This really must be one of the most rewarding walks in Scotland for so little climb.
thumb_IMG_3705_1024.jpg
Lucky with the weather!

The descent to the car took less than an hour and all in was a cracking day out in the sun!
harkinchristopher
Mountaineer

Munros:44   Corbetts:2
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Re: Ben A'An

Postby Avocetboy » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:03 pm

Blimey! cannot believe your second photo and the absence of the trees. Looks so different. :(
Avocetboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:74   Islands:7

Postby Chris Mac » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:18 pm

I'm heading to Callander tomorrow and with the weather due to be bad we were thinking of tackling Ben A'An instead of something bigger. I doubt we'll get the same amazing view you got but thanks for the report and pics anyway. :)

Hopefully the weather will prevent the summit being as busy as it was for you...
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Postby Chunnification » Tue May 10, 2016 9:49 am

Thinking of taking my 5 year old up on Saturday. Did you use the diverted route or the regular route? Just wondering if the diverted route is any longer than the regular one and if the diverted route is easy enough to follow? Don't want to end up climbing Ben Venue!
Chunnification
Mountain Walker

Munros:33   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland