walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wee walk - Big views : Bidean Clann Raonaild

Wee walk - Big views : Bidean Clann Raonaild

Postby Towser » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:34 pm

Date walked: 16/03/2016

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 466m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I see my friend, Dogplodder, has not written about this little walk, so I will have a go. Four of us were looking for an easy walk to test out and strengthen some previously broken ankles - it had to be easy going underfoot with no unexpected holes to step in and preferably therefore on a track. We were also looking for a generous helping of sunshine, and some good views. Dogplodder came up with the the idea of Bidean Clann Raonaild, having visited the A832 near Achnasheen some days before, and spotted it as a potential hill - which would also give us a Marilyn "tick".
And God came up with the weather goods, the forecasts promising sunny days and light winds. We joined forces at Contin and continued in one car, under somewhat disappointing skies, having heard that there would be frost in the glens and cloud in the early morning. We found the appropriate gate into the forest, a couple of kilometres past Lubmore and Loch a Chroisg on the A832, and in no time we were raring to go. The cloud at our start point of approx 200m was low enough to make everything around misty, and so we didn't bother with many photos at this point.
We did enjoy a broad forest track, with gentle inclines as we had hoped for, and as we had all day, we didn't rush. A high gate with an even higher ladder to one side was a bit daunting, but there was a small opening in the fence at a low level which adequately allowed us through, minus rucksacks..... all except me who wanted to try the ladder! Without any idea of the scene around, we continued on the track, which was now on the open hillside, with Moira's Satmap giving us encouraging information about getting near our summit height.

Then - WOW - just as we were feet from the top, over the horizon, under blue skies stood a white, striking Beinn Eighe:
1.jpg

And next to it, Liathach
2.jpg

We turned around, to see the cloud still clinging to the valleys, with wisps passing across other hills partially obscuring the views.
4.jpg
Views all around - south, west, east....

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

This really was a 360 degree viewpoint.

7.jpg
Here we are at the summit cairn

We were so overawed by the stunning views that we completely forgot about the large mast and attendant building, also sharing the top with the summit cairn. We naturally did not rush, taking copious photos and eating lunch, even though it wasn't yet 11 am. It was difficult to decide to retrace our steps with such gobsmacking views to be inspired by.
8.jpg
Small pool with Beinn Eighe backdrop
]
9.jpg

On our return down the track, we were able to see around, and continued to marvel at the spectacular inversions to the east and south.
10.jpg

11.jpg
View of the track with inversions in the distance

12.jpg

We negotiated the high gate/ladder again, and it was much more difficult this time, as my rucksack was weighty enough to destabilise me, causing me to grip so hard so as not to fall backwards that my hands hurt for ages afterwards.
13.jpg
This was the more sensible way to get past the gate

We enjoyed the pleasant forest walk back to the car
14.jpg

15.jpg

and were soon winging our way to the Whistlestop Cafe in Kinlochewe to enjoy coffee, tea and wonderful banana milkshakes.

Although you might not class this as an "exciting and challenging walk" it would be ideal to demonstrate to friends who didn't do much walking the rewards of going high (ish) and the amazing views which can be gained. It would also suit if you wanted a short afternoon jaunt, and given favourable cloud levels, you would gain some marvellous views. Definitely to be recommended for Big Views for little effort.
Towser
Walker

Re: Wee walk - Big views : Bidean Clann Raonaild

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:41 pm

Come on own up you had a pair of snips in your bag, that wee hole wisnae there when I did it. Fabulous views from the summit though. A fine wee hill well worth little effort.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Towser » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:54 pm

:D Honest injun, I didn't have any snips. It was well done though, with no jaggy edges, and perfectly squared off.
Towser
Walker

Postby dogplodder » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:00 pm

Great photos Towser and I can vouch for the fact no harm came to that fence on our watch. Now that ladder stile's another matter with certain folk climbing over it! :lol:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland