walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Reamer, Meal nan Caorach and Beinn na Gainimh

Meall Reamer, Meal nan Caorach and Beinn na Gainimh

Postby Benaden887 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:51 am

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn na Gainimh, Meall nan Caorach, Meall Reamhar

Date walked: 26/08/2015

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 18.5 km

Ascent: 1140m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sat. North east of Sma`glen on the highland boundary fault line lie the grahams of Meall Reamer and Meall nan Caorach. Sparse roadside parking on the A822 means a usual start point from Amulree in a 11km round to cover both hills. A line of pylons are being erected across the glen bringing hydro energy to the masses - At the works entrance sit a group of portacabins - where on asking the workers allow me to park. This shortens my walk by 4km for an extra 100mt of climb - a good trade off - the two tops a bare kilometer apart with a drop of 160mts between them it seemed sensible choice for a day out. Overcast - the tops in cloud - could be my theme song. I park and use pylon service roads to cross heather and bog before entering the clag. Compass bearing locates the fence and SE leads to the spikey top of Reamer. Windy but no views so drop with the fence steeply down to below the clag into a glen. North I see the clutter of white buildings that is Amulree - Giron farm and the track thro the glen - South rolling hills that merge into forestry. Sheep on both sides. Down to the col cross bog and path then up into mist avoiding lots of old fence wire to the trig point of Caorach. Still nowt to see - I take a break then return the way I`d came - passing my 1st peak until - finally some views. Across the glen another Meall Reamer some 50mt higher - the top in cloud then behind and part of it somewhere Beinn na Gainimh my next hill. Only the Scurran is clear of cloud. Cross heather to a wooden hut beside the track I take back to the car. Seen enroute - Lots of brown mountain hares - plenty of grouse sheep birds and folk. The pylon guys relating they`d watch a pinemartin chasing a hare I`d spooked _ result unknown. Drive to Loch Freuchie and in clear skies head up glen Lochan on another section of the RRW. Past a wee lochan - strike uphill over steep gound that is easier than it looks to a notch - then ridge walk meets a broad plateau and a double electric fence to reach the small cairn of Gainimh. Views here are extensive - the massive bulk of Ben Chonzie - steep sided glens and hills previously climbed. Here on the western side there is much landslip - creating a wild interesting landscape - a haven for wildlife and leg breaking stuff for the unwary. The return was easier - a hour to reach the car. Then home. Seen enroute, noone on the hill woman and dog at the gate - the gamie to check I wasne poaching - same hares birds - clouds of insects the new generation - dragonflies sheep - deer high up. Damp in the clag warm in the sun and rain on the way home- a guid day
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Benaden887
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:153   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:46
Wainwrights:39   
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland