walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Return to Rosthwaite (successfully)

Return to Rosthwaite (successfully)

Postby The English Alpinist » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:15 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Rosthwaite Fell

Date walked: 22/03/2016

Time taken: 2.5

Distance: 7.5 km

Ascent: 614m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

13 view north.JPG
No argument this time. The Tarn at Leaves down there.

On this, my second to last walk of my campaign to walk all the Wainwrights in one winter, I was having a second attempt at Rosthwaite Fell. I went over it (or thought I did) on March 5th in a whiteout en route to Glaramara. The latter definitely was summitted succesfully, but as for Rosthwaite, I just couldn't be sure. I passed a cairn that day which I thought might be it (either Bessyboot or the Cam, the 2 recognized summits), but the Tarn at Leaves which I was expecting to prove my position never materialised. Mystery - until today! It turns out that this one had been a far bigger miss than the other two I went back to do on Saturday (Dollywaggon and Angletarn Pike north). Yet Rosthwaite was the one I most thought I might have hit correctly.

1 approach.JPG
Here I went again. Approach from Seatoller.

2 higher.JPG
Up alongside Dry Gill - the correct side of it this time!

3 Dry Gill.JPG
Higher up Dry Gill.

4 Comb Gill.JPG
My ascent last time (March 5th). Wrong!

Early on the way up today, I soon began to suspect my mistake of last time. I had crossed over Dry Gill and started following the more obvious-looking path on the other side. This was coupled with a basic compass error of reading SW instead of SE. Travelling on an 'upside down' map this is so easily done (well, I think it is). Both routes lead on to Glaramara, but the one I took last time totally bypassed Rosthwaite Fell proper, going over a subsidiary ridge, Thorneythwaite Fell to be exact. This and the fact the terrain up there is a confusing array or rocky hillocks everywhere, and that last time it was in snow and mist too, gives me all the excuse I need for that massive miss! Today's first sighting of the Tarn at Leaves was satisfying indeed. The positions of the two featured summits in Wainwright - Bessyboot and Rosthwaite Cam - were obvious at sight by then.

5 Tarn!.JPG
Eureka. The Tarn at Leaves, this time found.

6 lost.JPG
Not Rosthwaite - Thorneythwaite!

7 lost.JPG
The cairn was Thorneythwaite Fell!!

8 north view.JPG
The view north from Bessyboot.

10 view Tarn Cam.JPG
On Bessyboot, looking south at The Tarn at Leaves and Rosthwaite Cam and Glaramara.

9 view Cam.JPG
Just to prove I was there!

11 Cam AW.JPG
That's what I wanted.

11 Cams.JPG
Went over both to be sure. Rosthwaite Cam - the one on the right I reckon.

12 summit.JPG
Rosthwaite Cam (90% sure).

14 Bessy view.JPG
Looking north from The Cam.

15 descent.JPG
Descent .

16 lower.JPG
Back down to Borrowdale.

17 valley.JPG
Back at Seatoller.

18 finally!.jpg
All that remains to be done!! :-D :-)

A job well done today, a mere 2 and half hour walk. Despite a rail and two bus journeys to get there, I was on the return bus from Seatoller and back in Keswick by 3.30 pm and enjoying being a restful tourist for a couple of hours. I'll be back there at the end for this week for the final leg. Luckily I've got Friday and Saturday available for it, because the forecast looks lousy for Saturday. It's looking like a Good Friday finale! Can't quite believe it. I don't think I will believe it until I'm sitting down in Castlerigg Stone Circle, where I'd started all those weeks ago on October 31st. It's been a long haul. Not quite there yet!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The English Alpinist
Mountain Walker

Munros:56   Corbetts:11
Fionas:22   Donalds:18+10
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Return to Rosthwaite (successfully)

Postby nigheandonn » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:27 am

You've got a soggy Friday ahead of you - should have done that when everything was still frozen! :P Some lovely views, though. Congratulations on pushing through - I just stay away in the winter!

I didn't *think* you'd found Bessyboot the first time, from what I remembered, but it all looked so different in the snow that I couldn't really tell. Better to be sure, I suppose :)
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby The English Alpinist » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:48 pm

nigheandonn wrote:You've got a soggy Friday ahead of you - should have done that when everything was still frozen! :P Some lovely views, though. Congratulations on pushing through - I just stay away in the winter!

I didn't *think* you'd found Bessyboot the first time, from what I remembered, but it all looked so different in the snow that I couldn't really tell. Better to be sure, I suppose :)

Thanks for the encouragement, and no I definitely didn't find Bessyboot the first time. I reckon I was about a mile away!
The English Alpinist
Mountain Walker

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:08 pm

Nearly there TEA, Rosthwaite fell is a strange one, quite why he picked Bessyboot rather than the fine summit of Rosthwaite Cam is anybodys guess. I'd consider a canoe for your last few, unless your blessed by an unexpected drop in temperature.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby trailmasher » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:27 pm

Well done you :clap: and as JK said, hope for a very, very, hard frost on your last outing because you'll need it :roll: :lol:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179

Postby The English Alpinist » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:55 pm

trailmasher wrote:Well done you :clap: and as JK said, hope for a very, very, hard frost on your last outing because you'll need it :roll: :lol:

Damn. It sounds unanimous. Maybe some wellies or those things fishermen wear to stand in a lake up to their waist.
The English Alpinist
Mountain Walker

Postby ChrisW » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:49 am

That hill looks a damn sight better this time around TEA, I'll bet you're glad you went back now :wink: It's been a fantastic blog to follow over the winter and I'll look forward and cheer you on all the way to the close out on friday, well done mate...All that remains is one small step for an alpinist, one final TR for the readers :clap: :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby dav2930 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:55 am

Honour to you for going back for those; I reckon you knew, deep down, that something had gone amiss in that whiteout first time round. Don't think I would have attempted to locate Rosthwaite Cam in those conditions. Last time I was on Great End I wanted to bag Broad Crag and Ill Crag, but didn't bother due to whiteout conditions - just couldn't have been sure enough of locating the actual summits.

I expect by now you've completed your campaign; I look forward to reading your concluding report. It's been an epic adventure to follow :clap: :clap:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby The English Alpinist » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:22 pm

dav2930 wrote:Honour to you for going back for those; I reckon you knew, deep down, that something had gone amiss in that whiteout first time round. Don't think I would have attempted to locate Rosthwaite Cam in those conditions. Last time I was on Great End I wanted to bag Broad Crag and Ill Crag, but didn't bother due to whiteout conditions - just couldn't have been sure enough of locating the actual summits.

I expect by now you've completed your campaign; I look forward to reading your concluding report. It's been an epic adventure to follow :clap: :clap:

Indeed I AM glad I went back! And yes it's now completed. Thanks to each of you for your interest and encouragement. :) I'm not done on here yet, but I won't be attempting anything epic! Just the odd walk I think - in summer. I'll be happy just following everybody else's blogs for a while now!!
The English Alpinist
Mountain Walker

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland