walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mount Keen - Moss' first Munro!

Mount Keen - Moss' first Munro!

Postby KatTai » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:57 pm

Route description: Mount Keen from Glen Esk

Munros included on this walk: Mount Keen

Date walked: 23/03/2016

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 17.5 km

Ascent: 810m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Today I've had Moss for 6 months and I decided to celebrate by taking her up her first Munro! The forecast earlier on wasn't looking promising but the forecast snow moved back leaving today clear for us to head out. I've already done Mount Keen twice, it was mine and my other two dogs first Munro so we seem to be getting something of a tradition going, and the walk just to Queens Well so the area wasn't strange to us. Though we did have to wait for some sheep to cross the road...

a.jpg

Sheep all in their field - or so I thought - we continued on only for a sheep to suddenly come racing behind us (I'm SURE it was the last one to cross, the one in the photo). It got Moss all worked up and excited racing passed us like that (she was on the lead might I add). Not entirely sure what it was trying to do but it ran along the fence to a closed gate, and then finding the gate was closed simply stood staring at us.

Reaching the gate, we left the sheep behind and found a tangle of toads on the path.

b.jpg
Get a room!

I only just managed to pull Moss away before she stepped in them (I initially thought it was a big pile of poo!). There were loads off toads in the pools alongside the path, though their pools were starting to dry out. Think the rain in the forecast will be good news for the amphibians in the area because if it stayed dry I don't think their pools would last too much longer.

We reached Queens Well and I had fun crossing Easter Burn, I'm not fond of crossing water. But with just a minor slip I made it across, think I'll get myself some of those welly looking things that go over boots in the future though so I can just paddle through without getting my feet wet!

From there it was onward and upwards for the start of the ascent.

d.jpg
Looking back down to the glen

There were plenty of red grouse around on the hillside. They were jumping up in alarm in front of us regularly and their calls were everywhere around us.

g.jpg

The grouse provided some entertainment, there isn't much to see on the going up bit with the only view down into the glen behind us and Mount Keen is just in view on part of the way up. Once passed the zig-zags and out in the open the dogs were able to have some off-lead time and a play in the few patches of snow that were left.

10.jpg
Moss in the snow

More hills came into view, and it looked as if they had a lot more snow left on them! For a non-snow walker like myself, Mount Keen certainly looked to be the best choice for today. Though I think the dogs would have preferred more snow!

h.jpg

We followed the main trail until there was a clear fork in the path with a well-made route turning to the right heading straight for Mount Keen. There were still plenty of grouse calling, and I even managed to get a photo of one of them in flight.

h1.jpg

The dogs completely ignored the grouse despite getting closer to them than I could, the call from a raven that was circling the summit briefly caught Millie's attention but that was the most attention that the birds got from the dogs.

22.jpg
Millie listening to the raven

With the raven circling about, we headed for the summit, the dogs running ahead of me and getting there first.

27.jpg

Moss made her way up to the summit marker and posed for her first ever summit photo. Completely natural posing, she doesn't pose well when I want her to pose somewhere I just have to hope she goes somewhere I'd like her to be. Still working on it though.

29.jpg

I then managed to get a photo of her, Millie and Dottie at the summit (Moss had to have her lead on for this, though it wasn't tied to anything!), though they weren't smiling for the camera! At times like this I really miss happy smiley Fly coming along on our walks to add a smiley face to the photos! Instead she has to stay home and relax on the sofa, it's a dogs life!

31.jpg

From there it was back down the way we had came. It was getting darker as we left even though it was only noon as the clouds started to drift over, but while there was a tiny bit of drizzle it stayed dry on our way back to the car. A successful trip, Moss' first Munro and at 11 miles, also the longest walk she has done so far too! No rest for her though, Fly still needs her evening walk!

Now to see how many more Munro's Moss can bag for herself, Millie has done 12 so she has a little bit of catching up to do!
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:52   
Islands:32

Re: Mount Keen - Moss' first Munro!

Postby kevsbald » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:52 pm

Well done Moss. Yes, the amphibian orgies are something to behold.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Beaner001 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:06 pm

Cracking pic of the Red Grouse :clap:
Mount Keen is one I need to go back to :D
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby KatTai » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:31 am

I was planning on leaving Mount Keen for later and going up via the route from Glen Tanar, but it was just too much to not get Moss her first Munro to celebrate having her for six months. Though judging by how I felt afterwards, just over 6 months away from the Munro's and bigger hills has left me a bit un-hill-fit...ouch!
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:52   
Islands:32

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland