walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Another minor cockup

Another minor cockup

Postby past my sell by date » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:18 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Stob na Cruaiche

Date walked: 20/03/2016

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 23 km

Ascent: 552m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another fine day, but I was still not sure about the snow conditions on the higher hills, so I picked out Stob a Cruaich - the book recommends a fine day. The nearest approach is from Rannoch station, but it's a real nightmare of a drive from Loch Earn whereas the way to the Kingshouse is just over an hour and quite easy, and the route although long, seemed to be mainly on good tracks
I parked outside the entrance gate and walked along the track to Blackwater Lodge . As I progressed the views behind me were superb although it was hazy looking South.
2608.jpg

2611.jpg

2614.jpg

My destination remained in view straight ahead the whole way and a few feral goats added a bit of interest
2615.jpg

2624.jpg

2627.jpg

2630.jpg
Looking through the haze across Rannoch Moor - Dothaidh, Achaladair, and Creachain
2631.jpg
Buchaille Etive Beag and a bit of Bidean appear
2633.jpg

I arrived at the lodge, took the signposted track around it and carried on to the junction just beyond, where I got out the map to see which way to go. Oh dear - I had brought the wrong map. :( Not just "past my sell by date" - but well past my sell by date :lol:
2633a.jpg

In poor conditions I would have turned around at this point, but my hill was in full view and I had plenty of time. I gave myself 4 hours (from the start) to get the top, and took the main track heading Right. It followed the edge of a fenced enclosure for a while, but then seemed to be veering too far south, so where the fence ended I made a beeline across the bog for the 629m fore-summit of Stob nan Lochgann. As bog goes it wasn't too bad - boggy and heathery but generaly free of peat hags - and I made steady progress although I was pretty tired when I got there (3hrs)
2634.jpg
Stob nan Lochgann across the bog
2640.jpg
The remote hills North of the Blackwater Reservoir remained under cloud cover all day and looked very wintery by comparison
2643.jpg
Looking South from here I think that's Ben Lui sticking up in the centre
2646.jpg
The Graham from the fore-summit
It looked quite close, but I knew from previous inspection of the map (that I didn't have) that it was around 2Km. Unfortunately these lower hills do not have the firm stony ridges of thir higher counterparts and there were a lot of peat hags on the traverse - mostly filled with snow. It took 45 minutes and I arrived to hazy views
2652.jpg
Lochs Eigheach and Rannoch with Schiehallion poking up beyond - but I've seen it looking clearer from the A82
2655.jpg
Looking North - I guess those must be the Ossian hills and maybe Beinn Eibhinn and Aonach Beag at the back
2662.jpg
Loch Laidon - the heart of Rannoch Moor
2664.jpg
West down the reservoir into the cloud
I returned to the fore-summit - it didn't seem any quicker - and descended rather wearily North West to the big track - the map just shows it as a footpath - that I could now see clearly - yes I should definitely have gone Left at the junction :( Once I reached it I could relax - it was just a plod home.
2667.jpg
Looking back from where I joined it
2674.jpg
A shaft of sunlight on the reservoir
2677.jpg
Lochan Meall a Phuill
Fortunately. a few hundred metres beyond the lodge the Estate Manager appeared in a 4WD and gave me a lift over the last section. Well you have to be lucky sometimes
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by past my sell by date on Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Re: Another minor cockup

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:05 pm

I've never taken the wrong map with me but I confess to taking a pair of slipper socks rather than walking socks - on a long summer day they didn't work, feet were a mess!!

Having read your report I think I'll stick with the dodgy drive to Rannoch Station and do the climb from there. Mind you, you got some great shots of the Glen Coe hills.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Another minor cockup

Postby past my sell by date » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:17 pm

Gordie12 wrote:I've never taken the wrong map with me but I confess to taking a pair of slipper socks rather than walking socks - on a long summer day they didn't work, feet were a mess!!

Having read your report I think I'll stick with the dodgy drive to Rannoch Station and do the climb from there. Mind you, you got some great shots of the Glen Coe hills.

If I'd taken the Left turn, the track continues to over 500m and only a Km or so from the fore-summit. Probably an hour shorter and less tiring. I think Jonny Corbett got it right - biking to near the end of the track: nut I'm not a biker
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland