walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ridiculous week part 7

Ridiculous week part 7

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:51 pm

Route description: A' Mharconaich and Geal Chàrn, Drumochter

Munros included on this walk: A' Mharconaich, Geal-chàrn (Drumochter)

Date walked: 19/03/2016

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Unlike the other walks on our great week at the Saddle Mountain Hostel, this was a quick solo effort on the way back down South. It was also the "odd one out" of the week's walks in that it was mostly a walk in the mist rather than bridgt sunshine! - but that said, it did have some nice views from Geal Charn, so I thought it was worth include. Reports of days 1 and 4-6 will follow at some point...

A blanket of low cloud lowered over Dalwhinnie and Drumochter but the forecast said that the layer of cloud was up to around 1000m. So with hopes of emerging from the clag and getting some views, I crossed the railway at Balsporran and headed up towards the mist. A nice cataract on the main stream is worth a short detour to the left of the track to look at it.

The route is very easy, and very easy to follow - just make sure that, when following the main track up the Allt Coire Fhar, you take the second track off to the right, after going over a small stream. The track becomes a path and just gradually rises up to a tall cairn, a smaller one and a stone-built seat. And suddently the mist ripped apart into bright sunshine and a view of A'Mharconaich.

ImageIMG_9054 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

At one point on the summit plateau, there was also a glimpse of Ben Vrackie beyond the clouds.

ImageIMG_9057 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The summit of Geal Charn was a wonderful viewpoint, with a vista of the summits beyond Loch Ericht.

ImageIMG_9063 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

There appeared to be a remarkable symmetry between the Ben Alder and Geal Charn massifs either side of the Bealach Dubh.

ImageIMG_9097 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Closer view of the bealach flanked by the Short and Long Leathas and Sgor Iutharn

ImageIMG_9073 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

And Ben Alder by itself

ImageIMG_9082 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Looking back to A'Mharconaich

ImageIMG_9061 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

A closer view as I started to descend Geal Charn's south ridge

ImageIMG_9089 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The south ridge itself - onwards and downwards into the mist

ImageIMG_9086 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

I had noticed a number of pleasingly rounded boulders on the flanks of Geal Charn. This one was my favourite, with a great view of the "symmetrical hills".

ImageIMG_9093 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

After that it was into the mist - down to the col, then I took a gradually rising line westwards into upper reaches of Fraoch Choire, heading for the 861m col at the head of that corrie. At that point I was thinking of adding in Beinn Udlamain but I began to realise that the cloud had become more extensive and there would probably be no view from the top. I decided to just go to A'Mharconaich and followed the broad ridge north-westwards to the summit.

The descent into the valley of the Allt Coire Fhar was very quick down a long slide of snow. Suddenly I came out below the mist and could see Geal Charn.

ImageIMG_9100 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

On down the track - near the bottom I noticed this nice view of the Allt.

ImageIMG_9113 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Pylons marching through Drumochter

ImageIMG_9117 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The last photo of this set was taken a long way south on my journey home. Not really Walkhighlands territory but the scene does contain a glimpse of a 3000 ft mountain...

ImageIMG_9121 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Re: Ridiculous week part 7

Postby litljortindan » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:46 pm

Well done on taking a chance of getting above the cloud. Another great set of pictures -looking forward to seeing the other reports. I went to revisit Geal Charn with my wife a couple of years ago and managed to go off along the wrong track as I was relying on memory. Oops, still not forgiven for that. Still, we did get views from where we ended up!
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:32 pm

thanks! yes I think although they are not the most fashionable hills they do have some great views...

cheers

HMHT
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Postby Beery Hiker » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:03 pm

To get that many good photos on the second worst day of the week just shows how lucky we were.
Beery Hiker
Walker

Munros:77   Corbetts:13
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:132
Wainwrights:119   Islands:5

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:07 pm

thanks - yes - uploading photos now and hope to publish the remaining reports shortly.

Main problem is editing the photos, as there were so many good views!
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Postby mrssanta » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:32 am

Well if that was your worst day the rest must have been fabulous.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland