walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

5 day Scottish trip

5 day Scottish trip

Postby Guinessman » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:39 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Heasgarnich, Beinn Mhanach, Beinn Sgulaird, Creag Mhòr (Glen Lochay), Meall Ghaordaidh

Date walked: 13/03/2016

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Did a 5 day Scottish trip 13th March on the first of this years Munro bagging trips. Hadn't set foot in Scotland this year unless you count stepping over the fence in the Cheviots. Had been waiting for the high pressure to shift north before making a trip to make it worthwhile. Sunday 13th looked a bit iffy but the after that promised much.
Travelled up on Saturday 12th in the campervan and parked behind the Bridge of Orchy hotel and had a few beers. Slept behind the hotel over the old bridge and then in the morning drove back along the A82 to park roadside next to the private road to Auch. Walked up the glen which took just over an hour to get to the sheds. From there rather follow the usual route to the right of Beinn Mhanach I took the left fork and climbed quite high towards the col on a good 4 x 4 track. From the end of that took a slanting route across the hillside to the col up to the top. From the top I simply reversed the route.

On Beinn Mhanach Looking East

Mhanach top

I was intending to go Glen Lochay next but I had noticed the vans exhaust blowing a bit and losing a bit of power and a quick visual showed that the front pipe was holed so I decided to go to Beinn Sgulaird and from there go to a garage in Fort William. Drove around to Loch Creran and kipped overnight in a roadside lay by in a place I,ve used before. On Monday 14th walked up to the start of the footpath to Beinn Sgulaird and was expecting a plod all the way to the summit. I had viewed the mountain on the drive up Loch Creran and with the break in the snow coverage left the crampons in the van. Followed the estate track and then at the cairn followed the hill path which wound its way up the spot height. Saw a tent on the spot height and as it was early assumed it was an overnight camper, what a view it must have been in the morning. The continuing path I found a real surprise with a roller coaster ridge with enough soft snow to keep the interest going before a final angled ridge to the summit. As the hill stands alone I followed the same path down and then drove around to Fort William to find a garage
Ben Nevis from the path up

Beinn Sgulaird

The back of the Buachaille

Looking out to Mull

Having been to the garage ,it was a part that had to be ordered so I thought I would go the campsite in Glen Nevis to stay overnight only to find it didn't open until the next day so I drove around the NF car park to kip overnight there. The next morning was awoken about 6.30 by climbers/ walkers arriving ( how many times does a single occupant have to slam a door shut?) so I got up and had a leisurely walk up to the CIC hut area and hung around for a couple of hours before returning to the van and going into FW to get the van fixed

Back on the road again I drove down to Glen Lochay to do the hills that I wanted to get done ,Creag Mhor and Beinn Heasgarnich. Got halfway up the glen to find "no overnight parking" signs. I could have chanced it in the car park for these two hills but I like a beer or vino and wouldn't fancy having to move the van if requested so I drove out of the glen and went up to the Ben Lawers car park to kip there. Awoke the next morning to find a heavy mist covering the car park and on driving up glen Lochay found that it didn't lift. Got to the car park to find a fellow walker kipping in his car overnight!. Set off along the Hydro road in absolute pea souper mist. Got to where I believe the old path would have left the hydro track, where the track drops downhill and bears right before crossing a bridge but I had read that this track was blocked by a deer fence and the correct path was 800 metres along so I continued and continued unable to find a start due to the heavy mist. After walking for nearly 2 hours from the car park I thought I must have missed the start so I started to go uphill and found that the ground rose rather quickly and through some steep soft snow fields. At that point the mist started to thin and I could sense a lightening of the atmosphere. The clouds finally cleared and walked above the inversion as I approached ,after I could check the map, was the head walls of Sail Dubh and not the Sron. Working around to the left of the head wall I was able to easily attain the ridge and continued onto Stob Nan Clach. I knew after checking the map that I could get around to Creag Mhor and as I was above the inversion the route was visually clear

The ridge from Stob Nan Clach

Got to the top of Creag Mhor and then dropped down to the NNE of the summit before dropping into the corrie and into the col. The walker I had met in the car park that morning told me he had done these two yesterday and wasn't sure of the way done so had dropped down steep snow fields to the col. As I dropped I saw a set of footprints all the way down from just north of the summit.
From there it was the steep ridge to Beinn Heasgarnich and onto the summit

Top of Beinn Heasgarnich

Yours truly in sunny Scotland, sunglasses and Bandana!

Travelled back to Ben Lawers car park and slept overnight again. Next morning drove back into Glen Lochay and used a parking area in a wooded area about 20 minutes walk to the start of the signposted path to Meall Ghaordaidh. Once again a heavy mist hung in the glen and it was about 1000 ft before I walked above another inversion. Got to the top within 2 hours passing 2 Ayrshire lads who by their own admission because they couldn't see above the clouds when setting off were more equipped for the Arctic than this hill. Took some shots and headed back into the now clear glen getting back down just after midday. It was the way I had planned it as it was now time for home. The Munro count is now 242 and I'm hoping to compleat this year. Back up on the 1st April for 7 to 10 days and will bag some more, weather dependent!

Loch Lyon from Meall Ghaordaidh
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Re: 5 day Scottish trip

Postby Jaxter » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:25 pm

Nice one! Your route up Creag Mhor looks nicer than the usual, so a happy accident? :lol:

Good to see that the sun does shine on Heasgarnich though, just not for me :D
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby dav2930 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:45 am

Great trip and report GM, with some excellent photos :clap: The inversion on Creag Mhor and Heasgarnich is amazing. Shame you couldn't have continued round the CMD arête etc when you were up at the CIC hut - the weather looked superb. You picked a good week. We (Karl & myself) were in that area the week after when the weather started to deteriorate - typical! :roll:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Petr Dakota » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:59 am

Some great shots there :clap: :clap: :clap:
The rocky peaks looks great in the inversion :thumbup:
Hope you will get good weather for your next trip in April...and then many more to keep you on the wave to compleat this year ! :D :wink:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:12 pm

Some nice shots there, GM. I particularly like the ones from your walk up to the Nevis CIC hut. I find that a magical place.

Glad you had at least some good weather! I was on Sgulaird the day after you, and it was brilliant. The biggest challenge with Sgulaird, though, is to pronounce it correctly :?
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Guinessman » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:40 pm

Jaxter wrote:Nice one! Your route up Creag Mhor looks nicer than the usual, so a happy accident? :lol:

Good to see that the sun does shine on Heasgarnich though, just not for me :D

Thanks for that, the extra bit onto Creag Mhor was quite interesting, the sun on BH was awesome.

dav2930 wrote:Great trip and report GM, with some excellent photos :clap: The inversion on Creag Mhor and Heasgarnich is amazing. Shame you couldn't have continued round the CMD arête etc when you were up at the CIC hut - the weather looked superb. You picked a good week. We (Karl & myself) were in that area the week after when the weather started to deteriorate - typical! :roll:

Thanks. Could have probably done the CMD arête with the time I had available but I only set off with a walking pole and nowt else. The week was glorious, I hope that's not it!

Petr Dakota wrote:Some great shots there :clap: :clap: :clap:
The rocky peaks looks great in the inversion :thumbup:
Hope you will get good weather for your next trip in April...and then many more to keep you on the wave to compleat this year ! :D :wink:

Thanks, the weather for this Friday is not looking great but its early days yet.

Alteknacker wrote:Some nice shots there, GM. I particularly like the ones from your walk up to the Nevis CIC hut. I find that a magical place.

Glad you had at least some good weather! I was on Sgulaird the day after you, and it was brilliant. The biggest challenge with Sgulaird, though, is to pronounce it correctly :?

I took loads of shots around the CIC hut, all of them IMO great.
Sgulaird LOL,
I was impressed with your efforts on that hill and others recently :clap:
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby rockhopper » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:20 pm

Enjoyed that - you certainly picked a good week to be up here. Can't be easy having to access the hills from such a distance - good result from this trip - just a pity about the camper problem - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland