walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The West Pentlands - Around Horse Law

The West Pentlands - Around Horse Law

Postby inca » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:11 pm

Date walked: 20/03/2016

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 330m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Attendees: Me, Big Dog, Small Dog
Map: OS 1:50,000 no. 72

Little Sparta – Horse Law – Seat Hill – Burngrange – Weston – Little Sparta

Walk done as per route outlined in Rab Anderson’s book ‘The Pentland Hills’, with the addition of a detour to the building ruin (military or water works?) on top of Seat Hill. Enjoyed this short route very much. Weather was decent, and whilst there were crowds of folk at the Flotterstone and Ninemileburn, Weston was quiet. Had only the dogs and the cry of an occasional curlew for company. Leisurely lunch at Burngrange ruins.

Wasn’t overly keen about the welcome of the farmer at Anston near the start/finish point. Dogs had just jumped out of the car at Little Sparta when a booming shout came across the valley about them being on leads. I had the leads in my hand; the first of his sheep were half a mile away. I could have shouted something back I suppose. His wife pottered over on a quad bike not long afterward. She almost sounded apologetic on his behalf.

Heading north across the moor from Little Sparta
ImageP1120261 by Neil Mackay, on Flickr

Gently upwards past way marker
ImageP1120262 by Neil Mackay, on Flickr

First sight of Seat Law - derelict building barely visible on top
ImageP1120263 by Neil Mackay, on Flickr

Still not sure what its purpose was
ImageP1120264 by Neil Mackay, on Flickr

But the views from inside were decent enough
ImageP1120265 by Neil Mackay, on Flickr

Old phone box at Weston
ImageP1120284 by Neil Mackay, on Flickr

Edited 28/1/17: Text amended, FlickR pics aded and status changed from personal log to trip report.
inca
Hill Bagger

Munros:225   Corbetts:71
Fionas:82   Donalds:89+41
Sub 2000:198   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland