walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cnoc Coinnich - Unfinished Business

Cnoc Coinnich - Unfinished Business

Postby Craiging619 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:09 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Cnoc Coinnich

Date walked: 02/08/2014

Time taken: 4.9 hours

Distance: 14.4 km

Ascent: 800m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The incredible shunshine in the first weekend of the Glasgow Commonwealth Games had broken, and Scotland was now under a bank of dark cloud and occasional rain as the Games headed for their conclusion. I got the (very!) early Cambeltown bus from Buchanan, and jumped off at Ardgartan to head up the minor road to the car park at Coilessan Glen. I was finishing a job started a year previously - in 2013 I attempted to climb The Brack and Cnoc Coinnich, but had to abort after the shock of nearly coming a cropper on The Brack. This time there was thankfully no snow, but a blanket of cloud restricted the views severely. Nonetheless, it was a very enjoyable morning's walk, and as I scuttled back down the minor road towards the cafe at Ardgartan in bucketing rain, I was very relieved to finally conquered one of the highest Grahams at the second attempt. :D

Both equally dangerous.

ImageThe Cowal Way took me up onto the wide plateau between The Brack and Cnoc Coinnich.

From the fence posts lining the route of the Cowal Way, the most direct route for final climb was up through the crags to the summit.

This picture shows what appears to be a faint path, although I don't remember there being one on the day...

The summit was perched dramatically on a clifftop, although the views were somewhat limited at first!

Me, looking about 80 years old.

It started absolutely belting it down. Where's Usain Bolt's pace when you need it?

Refuge in the Ardgartan cafe. :)

Ouch, is that a landslide warning...?
Craiging619
Hill Bagger

Munros:70   Corbetts:33
Fionas:40   Donalds:39+9
Sub 2000:22   
Islands:21
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland