walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Do Rainbows Have An Odhar?

Do Rainbows Have An Odhar?

Postby Craiging619 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:10 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Odhar

Date walked: 14/09/2013

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 7.9 km

Ascent: 680m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

My final hillwalk of 2013 was scheduled to be a steep climb up the Southern ridge of Beinn Odhar, followed by a train ride to Connel for an overnight stay, but the whole trip nearly didn't happen. On the Friday night I somehow managed to lose my keys in my own flat, and with my wife still away in Indonesia for another week, a frantic Skype call was unable to solve the mystery (God loves a trier, but it was never going to work from 8000 miles away). Eventually I had to call my dear mother on the Saturday morning, who promptly jumped on a train up to Glasgow and found the keys...in one of my jacket pockets. :shock: :(

Amidst my utter humiliation, there was just enough time to run to Timpsons and get a spare set cut (in case this farce ever ensued again), before I jumped on the lunchtime train to Tyndrum. The views, as ever, were tremendous.

Today's target, one of the highest Corbetts, lay behind the village.

As I headed up the West Highland Way to the railway bridge, a remarkable low rainbow appeared straight ahead. Thankfully no rain was forthcoming: the best of both worlds, really. 8)

Once across the bridge I turned off the WHW and immediately headed up through clumpy grass towards the South ridge. Within ten minutes the going was extremely steep, and as I kept stopping every few metres for breath, I wondered exactly how long the climb was going to take.

Luckily, the remains of the old mine were there to reassure me that I was over halfway up from the railway line, at 650m, as well as guiding the way ahead.

The Crianlarich hills appeared behind Beinn Chaorach, and before long I was nearing the lochan at 780m.

To my delight, I reached the summit of Beinn Odhar at 4:30pm, 1.5 hours after leaving the West Highland Way. I don't usually spend more than 15-20 minutes on a summit, as in the past there was always a bus/train to catch, but for this one an exception, and 45 minutes later I was still taking photos in all directions.

The descent back to the West Highland Way took barely an hour, including a brief stop at the picturesque lochan.

To my surprise, just a few minutes after I arrived back at the WHW, Beinn Odhar was covered in thick dark cloud. It looks like I had made it up and down just in time for the dramatic 360-degree panorama.

A lovely dinner followed at the Real Food Cafe, before the night train to Connel Ferry.

Didn't feel too bad on the Sunday morning, so I took a donder out to "Oban Airport" (Connel Airstirp) in what would best be described as "changeable weather". :crazy:

The conditions on the train back to Glasgow were fairly atrocious, but I wasn't caring any more. It was great to get the 21st mountain of the year climbed (my record so far) and retire for another winter as thick storm clouds rolled in once again over Beinn Odhar and Tyndrum.

Craiging619
Hill Bagger

Munros:54   Corbetts:30
Grahams:26   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:17   
Islands:21
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland