walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Faliure x2 (so close yet so far)

Faliure x2 (so close yet so far)

Postby Aaron Wahab » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:55 am

Munros included on this walk: A' Mhaighdean

Date walked: 10/01/2016

Time taken: 5.27 hours

Distance: 45 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Time of Set off - 7.46
Turn around - 13.13
Time if return 18.39

Age 18 & 19

Despite failing, we made it pretty close as seen in the image below. we setoff from kinlochewe and returned there. Our first attempt, 7 days before we took camping gear and attempted to slowly walk through the pass to the right of siloch, but got caught in extremely fast winds which tore out tent, we moved down the mountain the next day to some ruins, and then slept 24 hours till the storm had passed. the next morning what remained of the tent was frozen. after this we decided to stay in kinlochewe.
Attempt 1.jpg

On the 10th we decided to try again, this time with less gear, in an attempt to do it in one day. the image below shows our route and how close we got. we had to stop our ascent due to the fact that we got caught in a blizzard, that blew in out of nowhere, luckily we had snow gear. as we knew the mountain would have snow on anyway.
Attempt 2.jpg

I apologise for the crude diagrams, its just a rough approximation. also the distance is from my phone GPS which said 28 miles which is about 45 km

These are just a few of my best photos, I may upload more at some point.
I hope you enjoy, as much as i did! I will attempt it again next year as i really want to be the first to climb the most remote munro one year, as i think it will be cool.
IMG_0296.jpg
Attachments
IMG_0494.jpg
IMG_0479.jpg
IMG_0457.jpg
IMG_9568.jpg
IMG_0414.jpg
IMG_0410.jpg
IMG_0376.jpg
IMG_0238.jpg
IMG_0222.jpg
IMG_0187.jpg
IMG_0160.jpg
Aaron Wahab

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland