walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Damhain

Beinn Damhain

Postby Benaden887 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:55 pm

Grahams included on this walk: Beinn Damhain

Date walked: 14/02/2016

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 690m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sun./snow and ice. I leave a cleared M9 for Braco and Glen Artney to climb the northern pair of grahams across ruchill water. A email from Mike suggests snow level @ 450m last week. Bang ! Heavy blanket snow covers the terrain - makes for careful driving. There`s been no traffic on this B827 so slow going till I meet a 4x4, then the way becomes easier. The turn off to the narrow glen road shows tractor tracks cutting thro deep snow - not wishing to get stuck - its plan B - Glen Falloch farm for Beinn Damhain.- the going will be easier here with the snowline up at 340m. 3 cars parked at the start of my walk, I make it 4, a guy and two women on my side as I squeeze in between them and the road. This group are doing the Corbett Meall an Fhudair - as it seems is everyone else. Chews me off to know for extra mileage I could have covered both these hills when I climbed the corbett - and ditto them when doing the munros - hindsight - a wonderful thing. A brief chat and they`re away over the gate. Geared up , the walkin is easy up the track - the highland coos that haunt this route are safe below in the farmers field - cross railway bridge-under plyons to where the track splits @210m. Left turn and great views over Lomond, ben and loch the hills of Falloch , now behind me as I follow the track around the side of Troisgeach and @ 333m meet the concrete dam water inflow structure that thro tunnels in the hills feeds Loch Sloy and the power station at Inverglas.- the ingenuity of our fore fathers never ceases to amaze me. - cross burn and head up over frozen ground then snow to the white dome that is the top of Damhain.- the higher I climb - the freshness and clarity shows all the surrounding peaks from Ben Lui to Ben More Over high ground and crags til I reach the base of the snow covered top.- It`s steepish - I could go round to easier ground, but heck! havn`t done this for a while. Check the snow with my leather boot - it`s hard neve- shorten the poles, attack the face for a 50m climb. I kick steps and use the poles - crossing upwards avoiding ice runs until I gain the top - a flatish area with a triangle of stones signal I`m there - Great fun - jist like the old days - and great views - Oss Lui Vorlich and the rest - cloud drapes over More and Stobinnian - below me the lochan of Damhain, sparkles in the sun - my route down and back to the car - A sunny day with no heat - cold wind keeps you moving - cloud from the east - short breaks and a good day, which was long enough - seen enroute - mountain hares, odd birds, coos and a small group of deer with watching stag herding his hareem into the trees Seen noone on the hill till back at the car - 2 guys ignoring each other - I nod and wave - no response - strange folk these hillwalkers
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Benaden887
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:153   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:46
Wainwrights:39   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland