walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Over Beinn Dearg`s new Graham, Mor Beinn and Ben Halton

Over Beinn Dearg`s new Graham, Mor Beinn and Ben Halton

Postby Benaden887 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:31 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Dearg, Mór Bheinn

Date walked: 25/02/2016

Time taken: 8.3 hours

Distance: 16.5 km

Ascent: 1225m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Thursday and a return to glen Artney shows no sign of last weeks heavy snow. The Highland boundary fault line runs through the glen with the water of Ruchill the border between Highlands and Lowlands. My gameplan - to park at the church,climb Halton and Mor Bheinn drop to the col up Beinn Dearg N ridge to the upgraded(by 2m) graham of Stuc na Cabrig - descend and cross the Allt srath a` ghlinne and return on the new track to Auchinner and car.But the night before I`d read about a parking area at the old school so parked up and reversed my gameplan. Over Ruchill bridge ,across frozen meadows of tough grass to reach the slopes of Sron na maolile the first of 7 tops on dearg`s horseshoe ridge - had I realised how hard a day I was in for - well. Deer race away to my left as I cross peat hags, snow and ice on this rollercoaster of a ridge - there was little snow on the lower slopes but plenty here. I kick steps and pole my way to the new graham of Cabaig and its 3 stone cairn. The wind is bitter - good views but no sun - weather clears with Vorlich and Stuc a chroin, snow plastered top looking outstanding - my first winter hills - we had to cut steps to reach the top of Vorlich, having no fear no crampons and home made axes - the group of tourists that followed us up ( waited for us to cut the way) had a wee dog that ran about demented until disappearing over the edge -result unknown - Ah! heady days. Today I have crampons and will need them, as the N face Dearg - my descent - is iced up- steep and goes an long way down - 300m as it turned out. No kick steps here - balance is crucial - I edge my way down - tiny secure steps before the going improved and I can leg my way beyond the snowline. And coming down my second mistake - massive tree felling on the slopes of Mor bheinn shows a forest track rising to 300m an easy way up ? well we live by our mistakes. The ground has softened some so welcome to bogland - I cross fence into bogs and stripped braches - fallen trees water filled holes until I reach the track and safety. So follow as it climbs the hillside to a burn that my map says will lead to the top. I head up into a nightmare of dense heather and steep slope to eventually reach the trig point - touch - then down S through heather to the col with Halton. The rock is slate on both hills - the 70m to the top easier follow the fence to cairn and lochans- The guys here must have got a job lot on fencing - there`s a lot of it. a sizable area has been cordoned off. - Up one side - down the other to an open gate more heather and the quarry road below that takes me back to the car. Regrets - the river had a fair run on it so I`d maybe had wet feet crossing on route 1 . - the heather had a few moments as did the icy face. Took 8.30hr to do these three I was pleased to see the car , my foot sore but I dun it boy so I did. Seen enroute - noone on the hills- deer - sheep - birds of prey - kites or eagles on high - plenty grouse and pheasant- so a good day with 35% of graham total.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Benaden887
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:153   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:46
Wainwrights:39   
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland