walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cairn Gorm

Cairn Gorm

Postby Craiging619 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:16 pm

Munros included on this walk: Cairn Gorm

Date walked: 04/10/2015

Time taken: 3.1 hours

Distance: 7.15 km

Ascent: 640m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

As part of the Stag Do for my best mate from school, a tentative plan was made to climb Cairn Gorm from the Ski Centre car park on the Sunday. In the end, only three of us were feeling up to the task, so I drove the other two from the lodge near Nethy Bridge up past Aviemore to the sprawling car park at 620m. While it did feel a tad cheeky, if the roads are there we might as well use them! The weather was superb for the whole afternoon (and most of the weekend), as last year's summer seemed to come in September and early October for whatever reason. The ski roads and good footpaths enabled us to climb the 6th highest Munro within 1 hour 25 minutes, and even with a long stop in the Ptamrigan gift shop on the way down (during which I was overcharged £12 for an £8 puffin :( ), we still made it back down in a shade over three hours. Much to my surprise, I had left the car unlocked when we left for the climb. :shock: Luckily no-one tried any funny business, and it's the one and only time (so far!) I've been so foolish with the car.

Cairn Gorm (I think?) from the lodge.

Despite the idyllic conditions at the lodge, the 1200m altitude meant conditions were still bitterly cold as we neared the top.

My friend from London had not had the opportunity to join us on earlier climbs in our uni days, due to injury, so he was chuffed to reach the summit of his first Munro.

All in all, it was one of the highlights of a cracking weekend away in the Cairngorms. 8)

Craiging619
Hill Bagger

Munros:70   Corbetts:33
Fionas:40   Donalds:39+9
Sub 2000:22   
Islands:21
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland