walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Linnfoots at Last

Linnfoots at Last

Postby weaselmaster » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:01 pm

Donalds included on this walk: Cape Law, Erie Hill , Garelet Dod, Molls Cleuch Dod

Date walked: 02/04/2016

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 18.8 km

Ascent: 1110m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A truncated weekend as I'm off to Skye for a few days on Sunday. With only a handful of Donalds left now, I decided to get the largest group remaining and do the Linnfoot Hills - a shortened venture following Monday's nabbing of Lochcraig Head and Carrifran Gans - that had removed about 8 km from the outing :D We drove down after I finished work on Friday, in truly horrendous weather - driving rain and gale force winds. The radio traffic bulletins announced major delays heading into Glasgow and on the M74, so I decided to go the scenic route via the A78 and Kilmarnock to Moffat...three hours later we still haven't got to the Meggat Water and the storm isn't lessening any. I'd decided we'd camp at Cramalt - no campsite for us tonight...just a neat little spot by the side of the Meggat Reservoir. It would have been very pretty but for the lashing rain and high winds as I struggled to put the tent up in the twilight. Once inside we were subjected to serious buffetting and I did wonder if the tent would be alright - I hadn't brought any extra guys... The camping stove guttered in the blasts of wind as I rustled up a meal then we took refuge in the sleeping bags and listened to the storm hitting the tent.

ImageP1120516 by Al, on Flickr

Sometime after midnight the winds subsided and the morning brought birdsong and tranquility. There was even a hint of sunshine. The tent had stood up to the ravages of the weather without issue - we ate porridge and prepared to drive the few miles to Talla Linnfoots. Allison would stay in the car/have a walk along the reservoir road while I went up the hills. I set off over the footbridge and onto the steep grassy flank of Garelet Hill. Good views across to Talla Cleuch Head and Broad Law beyond. Nothing challenging, just a steep pull of 400m brought me up to the weathered trig point at the summit.

Meggat Water
ImageP1120517 by Al, on Flickr

Garelet Hill to the Right
ImageP1120518 by Al, on Flickr

Carlavin Hill
ImageP1120522 by Al, on Flickr

Towards Broad Law
ImageP1120524 by Al, on Flickr

Summit Garelet Hill
ImageP1120525 by Al, on Flickr

From here I sauntered along the fenceline over the minor rise of Lairds Cleuch Rig and onto Erie Hill, the first Donald of the day. I disturbed a group of crows that I'd previously caused to rise from Garelet Hill as I swept down from the summit onto the flatter section over Common Law to Garelet Dod. Played seek the summit and then looked at the route ahead which took me down to Din Law then Cape Law, with little loss of elevation between. Erie Hill looked more impressive from this side, looking back. After Cape Law I headed down to Rotten Bottom, a boggy morass I recalled from when we'd done the White Coomb circuit a couple years back. Despite last night's rain the bog was not too awful and the deeper sections could be bypassed. I paused for some lunch on the way up to Firthhope Rig, feeling a bit tired (I blame the long drive and stormy weather). White Coomb looked sombre and impressive with a canopy of cloud lying over it.

Towards Erie Hill
ImageP1120527 by Al, on Flickr

Erie Hill to Garelet Dod
ImageP1120528 by Al, on Flickr

Erie Hill
ImageP1120529 by Al, on Flickr

Cape Law from Din Rig
ImageP1120532 by Al, on Flickr

White Coomb
ImageP1120536 by Al, on Flickr

Rotten Bottom
ImageP1120537 by Al, on Flickr

White Coomb
ImageP1120538 by Al, on Flickr

Onwards to Donald's Cleuch Head - I decided I would go over Great Hill, a Donald Top as it might be a SIMM (which it's not :( ) then contoured round to Firthybrig Head. I had been up here on Monday in the snow/whiteout coming from Lochcraig Head - a much nicer day today and virtually no snow left. It was another gentle stroll to Molls Cleuch Dod, the final Donald of the outing and my penultimate Donald for that matter. Followed the wall down to Carlavin Hill and prepared to descend. My GPS route had me coming off the northern shoulder but when I got there it looked a bit too steep and craggy for my liking so I headed a bit to the NE and descended on grassier slopes back to the road. A pleasant drive back via Biggar and the M74, which took half the time of the journey down.

Great Hill
ImageP1120541 by Al, on Flickr

Molls Cleuch Dod
ImageP1120542 by Al, on Flickr

Molls Cleuch Dod from Firthybrig Head
ImageP1120544 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1120545 by Al, on Flickr

88 down, 1 to go
ImageP1120546 by Al, on Flickr

Carlavin Hill
ImageP1120547 by Al, on Flickr

Meggat Water
ImageP1120548 by Al, on Flickr

Fruid Reservoir
ImageP1120549 by Al, on Flickr

Shapely Erie Hill
ImageP1120550 by Al, on Flickr

A bit steep
ImageP1120551 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1120552 by Al, on Flickr

erie4.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:206   Corbetts:44
Grahams:75   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:281   Hewitts:31
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Re: Linnfoots at Last

Postby Tinto63 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:58 am

Two good reports and some nice photographs of these hills. Although the weather looks as if it has been pretty atrocious. I'm in sunny but cool (18C) Melbourne at the moment visiting family, but it's good to keep up with your yomps over some of my favourite hills.
Tinto63
Hill Bagger

Munros:129   Corbetts:46
Grahams:38   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:30   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland