walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Easter weekend, first trip to Scotland 2016

Easter weekend, first trip to Scotland 2016

Postby martin.h » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:41 pm

Munros included on this walk: A' Bhuidheanach Bheag, Càrn na Caim, Meall Ghaordaidh

Date walked: 25/03/2016

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 28.5 km

Ascent: 1719m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Our first trip to Scotland 2016.
It wasn't promising the best of weather over the Easter weekend compared to the two or three weeks prior to our visit so expectation was not too high, anything would do, just so long as we'd get the chance to venture into Munro country, nothing too hard considering we'd not been on a Munro since last September but something with distance involved to get the legs stretched and something that would give us a couple of Munros to get the ball rolling.

Carn na Caim and A'Bhuidheanach Bheag.
Friday 25/3/16.
5.5 hours.
824m ascent.
19km.

We had three Munro's left to do up the A9 near Drumochter and the Carn na Caim and A'Bhuidheanach Bheag double would fit the bill nicely for what we wanted.
Using the Travelodge at Huntingtower nr Perth as our base the trip up the A9 to Drumochter is only 50 mins and with no hold ups it was an easy journey.
Parking in layby 87 is fine so long as you get most of the car onto the verge, so there we were ready for the off.

There was a sneaky wind chilling us as we got ready so we went prepared for a keen breeze on the tops. We headed for the gate as described and started the steady pull up to the quarry.
This was ideal as a "break in" for the legs and even though we'd been in the Lakes a few times over winter my legs definately needed breaking in, but it was good to be back munro-ing. :D
When we arrived at the 902m height above the quarry there's a cairn to tell you you've arrived at the deciding point, by that I mean whether to do Carn na Caim first as described or go for A'Bhuidheanach Bheag, we decided on the latter because the distant clouds were coming up from the south and we wanted to get views from both hills, hopefully we'd get to both summits before they arrived. :wink:

There was a keen breeze blowing across the plateau so unfortunately the willingness to take loads of photo's took back stage so the ones I took aren't that interesting.
We headed for the cairn on A'Bhuidheanach which isn't marked on the map and, for some reason, carried on over and started to head west :roll: , I saw the error in time to correct it but was annoyed I'd made it in clear conditions, so we backtracked to the cairn and re-adjusted.
The way over to the trig on A'B Bheag was over snow so made for slow going but we arrived and the views were good, if a bit muted by the cloud cover, Munro No 1 for 2016, grand. :D :clap:

ImageDSC01375 by Martin Hawer Denise by the trig onA'Bhuidhenach Bheag.

ImageDSC01377 by Martin Hawer Some views from the summit, sorry, but not the best.

ImageDSC01380 by Martin Hawer

ImageDSC01381 by Martin Hawer

ImageDSC01382 by Martin Hawer

ImageDSC01383 by Martin Hawer

ImageDSC01384 by Martin Hawer

After a few photo's we were off again, re-tracing our footprints back to the quarry, most of the way was easy enough, occasionly hampered by the snow, but there was no need for crampons or ice axe, our poles kept us upright.
Once at the 902m cairn we set off for Carn na Caim, we could see all the way round to it but the distance was deceptive and it seemed to take for ever to get there, the fenceposts helped a bit but both of us were glad to arrive at the cairn. :clap:

ImageDSC01385 by Martin Hawer Denise on Carn na Caim

ImageDSC01386 by Martin Hawer Views from the summit.

ImageDSC01387 by Martin Hawer

ImageDSC01387 by Martin Hawer

ImageDSC01388 by Martin Hawer

So that was Munro No 2, :D two reasonably easy Munro's ticked off, now it was a case of getting back to the quarry and down to the car.
Walking down the track is good for views.

ImageDSC01389 by Martin HawerFrom near the quarry.

ImageDSC01390 by Martin Hawer

ImageDSC01391 by Martin Hawer A wee bit further down.

ImageDSC01392 by Martin Hawer,

ImageDSC01393 by Martin Hawer

ImageDSC01394 by Martin Hawer

By this time the weather looked like it was going to change for the worse and by the time we'd got to the car and changed into our jeans, it had started to rain so the timing was brilliant, we'd had a good day for the first trip into the Scottish mountains this year. :D

Saturday was a write off as far as mountains were concerned so we had a look around Huntingtower house and then did a bit of shopping. :roll:

Meall Ghaordaidh.
Sunday 27/3/16.
4.5 hours.
895m ascent.
9.5km

Sunday dawned a bit iffy but we decided to have a go at Meall Ghaordaidh, another Munro just right to do in inclemant weather.
We set off, Killin bound, watching the weather as we went, it looked a bit crappy on the tops but felt we had to do something to justify our lazy Saturday and, going home Easter Monday, this was our only chance to gain another tick.
We arrived at the parking spot, looked up and saw the weather could change for the better, it wasn't raining now so decided to go for it.
We set off following the W.H description, over the fields on an obvious path and then onto a decent track. You can make out the pole mentioned in the description and as we got closer the little cairn marking the start of the path up the mountain is really quite easy to spot.
From here the route is a bit wet. :roll:

ImageDSC01422 by Martin Hawer looking back, views opening up.

ImageDSC01423 by Martin Hawer

ImageDSC01424 by Martin Hawer The broken fence.

Its only when you get to around the 850m height does the path start to get firmer underfoot.
Not much higher up we were above the snowline and the going got better, by now we were in the cloud so any hope of a view from the summit was doubtful.
We kept on plodding up, then, quite unexpectedly, we arrived at the summit shelter and trig, we were both thinking we had a way to go to the top and it was a pleasant surprise when we got there.

ImageDSC01425 by Martin Hawer, At the summit.

ImageDSC01426 by Martin Hawer, And now the views.

ImageDSC01427 by Martin Hawer,

ImageDSC01428 by Martin Hawer. Mmmmmm! :roll:

It was cold in the wind so we donned the goggles to protect our eyes from it, that made us feel better while we were stood around but it was no fun so we set off down, if conditions had have been better we'd have had a go at including the corbett Beinn nan Oighreag, something I've fancied doing so we'll have to go back for that, it looks a nice wander.

On the way down the cloud did the usual thing and started to clear the summits. :roll: :lol:

ImageDSC01430 by Martin Hawer Views appearing.

ImageDSC01431 by Martin Hawer.

ImageDSC01432 by Martin Hawer.

ImageDSC01433 by Martin Hawer.

As we got lower the sun came out,typical!!, oh well, we'd planned on getting three ticks, minimum, and got 'em so that was a success. :D

ImageDSC01437 by Martin Hawer Looking back up the mountainside from the road.

ImageDSC01438 by Martin Hawer

Our next trip up North is to Glencoe beginning of May so hopefully we'll get a few more mountains under our belts,
can't wait!
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Re: Easter weekend, first trip to Scotland 2016

Postby jamesb63 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:07 am

Well Done Martin and some nice pics :clap: :clap:
will be nice just getting back to the hills ,hope the weather gods
are with you for Glencoe :thumbup:
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Munros:218   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:05 pm

Given the forecast, not too bad weather. But I really do know what you mean about summits clearing just as you get well down from them :(
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Beaner001 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:38 pm

Great stuff Marts, maybe catch up this summer :D
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:05 pm

Nice one Martin, sorry I couldn't meet up with you :wink:
The photo's make the weather look OK, apart from the clag of course :lol:
Will try and hook up in Glencoe in May, but don't forget I am on a mission :wink: :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:19 pm

Great stuff Martin, that's you done 3 more than me this year. Snow receding fast I see, you must try and make a WH meet sometime to meet the rest of the guys.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Jaxter » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:26 pm

Ah well at least you got some summit views! :clap:

Nice job :D
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby martin.h » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:45 pm

jamesb63 wrote:Well Done Martin and some nice pics :clap: :clap:
will be nice just getting back to the hills ,hope the weather gods
are with you for Glencoe :thumbup:

Cheers jamesb
Fingers crossed for Glencoe, we've still a few new munros to have a go at around there, especially Glen Etive :D

Alteknacker wrote: But I really do know what you mean about summits clearing just as you get well down from them :(

Thanks Alteknacker,
I get the feeling that's the default setting for the munros, we'll just have to go back and do 'em again without the cloud :D :lol:

Beaner001 wrote:Great stuff Marts, maybe catch up this summer :D

Thanks Matt,
That'll be good, I'll PM you our plans for the summer, hopefully we'll get the chance :D

Fife Flyer wrote:Nice one Martin, sorry I couldn't meet up with you :wink:
The photo's make the weather look OK, apart from the clag of course :lol:
Will try and hook up in Glencoe in May, but don't forget I am on a mission :wink: :lol:

Thanks Martin,
I fully understand and lets hope you manage it, only 35 to go :D :D
I'll let you know of our plans for Glencoe.
Take care.

The Rodmiester wrote:Great stuff Martin, that's you done 3 more than me this year. Snow receding fast I see, you must try and make a WH meet sometime to meet the rest of the guys.

Thanks Rod,
It would be great to meet up with all the folks, putting faces to names, spending time in the hills and a few bevvy's afterwards, brilliant, we'd like that :D

Jaxter wrote:Ah well at least you got some summit views! :clap:

Nice job :D

Thanks jaxter,
Your trip around Drumochter was epic, really really good, nice one :clap: :D
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland