walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall na h-Aisre

Meall na h-Aisre

Postby colinwatson » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:54 pm

Route description: Meall na h-Aisre, from Garva Bridge

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall na h-Aisre

Date walked: 03/04/2016

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 900m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I drove to Garva Bridge with high hopes as I had enjoyed a pleasant day on Gairbeinn, just along the road, last year. Parked up on a drizzly morning and set off.

My plan was to cross the Feith Talagain by the bridge marked on the map at NN 525958. When I got there, I could see the supports of the bridge on either bank, but nothing in between!

2016-04-03 09.19.21 (640x428).jpg
The bridge that con only be seen by highly intelligent people!

I scouted around for somewhere to cross, but nothing appealed. As my planned descent was via the junction of this stream and the the Allt Coire nan Dearcag (under Geall Charn) I pressed on to there. After much humming and hawing I eventually picked a spot and got over, although I would not like to have done this had the water level been any higher.

On the other side, I had something to eat and climbed up to the col between the 518 and 637 spot heights. My hope for a pleasant walk along the ridge was dashed as the ground was a combination of everything I don't like - bog, heather, peat hags and soft snow! Saw a few deer as I made my way into the Leathad Gaothach, but from there on I was in cloud. Pressed along the featureless ridge, past the tiny lochan an on to the 844 spot height. I came across a few faint vehicle tracks, but none seemed to follow the ridge line for any time. I plodded on regardless and eventually arrived at the trig point.

Not much point in lingering and I started to retrace my steps. I had considered heading down to Coire Ian Oig and crossing the river by the bridge at NN522957, but was put off by the thought that it might be posted missing in action as well. On the way down the ridge I could head some golden plover, but didn't see any.

2016-04-03 13.09.37 (640x428).jpg
Looking down to Garva Bridge at the base of the cloud

I came down to the river a bit higher up than the morning crossing to see if there was a better point to ford it there, but nothing was available, so I recrossed at the same point as before.

Then I simply had to follow the stalkers' path back to Garva Bridge. At least now I could just splash through the puddles as my feet were soaking anyway!

2016-04-03 14.11.37 (640x428).jpg
Meall na h-Aisre from the stalkers' path

2016-04-03 14.49.21 (640x428).jpg
Creag Meagaidh on the approach to Garva Bridge

When I got to the point where I could see the Allt Coire Ian Oig, I could see the bridge laughing at me!

2016-04-03 14.52.44 (640x428).jpg
Garva Bridge

Great to get back to the car and into dry footwear.

This was most definitely a day to be enjoyed in retrospect!
colinwatson
Stravaiging

Munros:75   Corbetts:38
Fionas:44   Donalds:45
Sub 2000:48   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:5   

Re: Meall na h-Aisre

Postby Silverhill » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:09 pm

We've all had days like that and the memories get better as time goes by :wink: .
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland