walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Fruin. Shortest, easiest way I could find.

The Fruin. Shortest, easiest way I could find.

Postby teaandpies » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:31 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: The Fruin

Date walked: 02/04/2016

Time taken: 1.4 hours

Distance: 6.26 km

Ascent: 193m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Wasn't really up for doing this hill but it was a last red blemish among a group of smooth blue skin so like a spot I had to squeeze this one in... :sick:

It was wet morning in Glasgow so I didn't bother rushing out the door so I had a decent sized brunch and left.

The parking area (local dogging area?) had some fresh litter, a condom rapper, wet wipes and a pepperami...kinky :lol:

Just head up this short bit of road.

Once the road ends just head straight on, up that first hill.

The going is boggy, my boots kept the wetness out. Oh, and yes, I know the gaiters are on the wrong legs :crazy:

Once on top of the first hill you'll come to a fence and you'll be funnelled into an area where the fence turns 90 degrees in the opposite direction, jump it here.

Just follow the fence line here and it'll take you to the summit.

On the return walk I walked on the wall for a bit imagining that I was walking the CDM Arete or the Cuillin Ridge :crazy:

Faslane.

Then I drove home...

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Re: The Fruin. Shortest, easiest way I could find.

Postby Sgurr » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:43 pm

You must be SUPER fit to do it in that time. Won't tell you how long we took this January, but we kept falling into holes in the snow, and husband has dodgy knee so it seemed to go on all afternoon. More a hill that you are glad to HAVE DONE.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby teaandpies » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:02 pm

Sgurr wrote:You must be SUPER fit to do it in that time. Won't tell you how long we took this January, but we kept falling into holes in the snow, and husband has dodgy knee so it seemed to go on all afternoon. More a hill that you are glad to HAVE DONE.

It was a really short walk, I did say I was going to do it the shortest way I could find :lol: About an hour 40, 50. I didn't even take a bag or water with me.

Oh, and I'm the least fit person on this forum I can assure you :shock:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Postby J Benjamin » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:51 am

I thought Fruin, the peak, was north of A817?
J Benjamin
Bird-watcher

Postby Sgurr » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:18 am

J Benjamin wrote:I thought Fruin, the peak, was north of A817?

The Hill Bagging site has the summit reference as NS 27626 87220. Maybe local legend has it elsewhere, but that is where the Marylin (hill with 150 descent all round) summit is. I shall be annoyed if it isn't, as it wasn't the most lovely of walks, and like teaandpies, we only did it to score the tick. Don't tell me that the northern competitor has rills, glens, secret caves, heather that flowers all the year round and no bog, or I might have to return.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby mountainsofscotland » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:49 am

Thanks for reminding me how awfully wet this hill is. I did it around this time last year in similar wetness. You were faster than me too - I took around 2Hrs 10Mins.
mountainsofscotland

Sub 2000:376   Hewitts:126
Wainwrights:150   Islands:49

Postby teaandpies » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:43 pm

mountainsofscotland wrote:Thanks for reminding me how awfully wet this hill is. I did it around this time last year in similar wetness. You were faster than me too - I took around 2Hrs 10Mins.

Where did you start the walk from? I didn't even take a rucksack. This was a smash and grab job for sure :lol:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:24 pm

If you want another quick one without a rucksack, drink etc. you can find it by the link below
( @ middle of the report ).......Meall Mor = "SUB2000" and you can stop there during your way via Rannoch Moor to add before or after mountains trip or just like a refreshment when going around :D :lol: :wink:

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=61034
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby teaandpies » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:39 pm

Petr Dakota wrote:If you want another quick one without a rucksack, drink etc. you can find it by the link below
( @ middle of the report ).......Meall Mor = "SUB2000" and you can stop there during your way via Rannoch Moor to add before or after mountains trip or just like a refreshment when going around :D :lol: :wink:

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=61034

Good shout. I'll keep this in mind :thumbup: :thumbup:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Postby superstar_tradesman » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:24 pm

teaandpies wrote:
mountainsofscotland wrote:Thanks for reminding me how awfully wet this hill is. I did it around this time last year in similar wetness. You were faster than me too - I took around 2Hrs 10Mins.

Where did you start the walk from? I didn't even take a rucksack. This was a smash and grab job for sure :lol:

Just for contrast, when I did this hill, I started from Loch Lomond Shores over in Balloch!

But that was a cold day in February, with plenty of frozen ground up top, so the walking was fast(ish). And yes, I got the train back from Helensburgh afterwards. :)
superstar_tradesman
Mountain Walker

Munros:170   Corbetts:31
Fionas:16   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:82   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby Backpacker » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:48 pm

I did this walk starting in Helensburgh and followed the "3 Lochs Way" before cutting up towards Tom nah-Airidh then heading over towards the summit.

I actually used the same route again when I did the "3 Lochs Way" to avoid the tarmac bashing of the Glen Fruin road
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:117
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby lulu_ferrari » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:34 am

This report made me giggle. I've never done this walk even though I've lived in H'burgh all my life.
lulu_ferrari
Mountain Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland