walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ledge Route & CMD Arete

Ledge Route & CMD Arete

Postby gman » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:04 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis, Càrn Mòr Dearg

Date walked: 30/03/2016

Time taken: 7.8 hours

Distance: 18.5 km

Ascent: 1645m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

ledge cmd actual 2016.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This is just a repeat of a walk & report I did last year so I was going to keep it private, but there's a bit more info on No 5 Gully & the gangway so it might be handy for anyone thinking about Ledge Route.

Had a fall last summer so repeated this to check fitness. Road to NF car park riddled with pot holes, path to CIC hut:

Met a couple of guys walking in who planned Indicator Wall and another couple heading for Number 3 Gully, I thought gullies might be heavily corniced though. Number 5 Gully with 2 groups headed towards Ledge Route:

Coire na Ciste

Number 2 Gully, thought about descending Number 4 and going round for this but cornicing put me off.

Number 5 Gully. There's a group at the start of the gully, take a right on a ledge soon after then up a ramp. Group getting to the top of the ramp at top right of pic.

Getting to start of No.5.

Roped climber on the ledge after No.5. There were 2 roped groups ahead of me here and I knew I'd be waiting ages so I continued up No.5 and took the next right exit which put me ahead of both groups.

No.5 is infamous for avalanches and snowballs were rolling down towards me but it doesn't take long to get out of the gully. Ridge is after these blocks:

Top of the ramp with prints where an earlier group had come up.

Tower Ridge

Easier ridge

Large cornice at top of No.5

Approach to the gangway, the prints head up an easy gully or you can go up the rocks on the left then take a tricky step down and along a narrow ledge with a steep drop on the other side. I went for option B since I had missed out the start of the route.

The step down feels tricky as the snow was soft and there's a lot of exposure but it looks disappointingly harmless after you've done it.

Alternate route up the gully

Soft snow scramble onwards

Gangway looks dramatic from the steep side as the easy approach is hidden.

Rest of the route is easy

2 groups I passed were now on the ridge.

Went to top of Number 4 Gully. There was a fracture line/crevasse buried in snow behind the cornice. I could see a couple of holes where people had stepped in and I discovered it was at least waist deep.

Looked like someone had been up with a rope but I didn't fancy descending it so just continued & did the arete.

Number 4 dodgy cornice

Walked round & joined pony track. Met icecream salesman thinking about doing 3 peaks. No free samples.

Climber on Tower Ridge

CMD

Descent to arete

CMD Arete

Mamores

North face from CMD descent. The upper part of Ledge Route is the ridge just out of the cloud in the middle of the pic.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Ledge Route & CMD Arete

Postby scottishkennyg » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:38 pm

Cracking images gman..
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Postby dav2930 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:37 pm

A combination that makes a lot of sense, giving a superb mountaineering circuit of the Ben. Brings back good memories of when I did the same, only starting from Glen Nevis YH, on Jan 16th 2000. I remember there was a huge amount of avalanche debris at the bottom of no.5 Gully - most I've ever seen in Scotland.

Great photos. :clap:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:48 pm

Wow! Just looking at some of those cornices gives me the heebie jeebies. I love winter walking/scrambling, and lots of the pics look massively inviting.... except for the (perceived?) avalanche risk. If I have to die on a mountain, it'll be falling off, not buried under tons of snow - this I have vowed!

Am I the only one with high avalanche anxiety???
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Petr Dakota » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:40 am

Great !!! :thumbup:
That's the real Ben Nevis...and much better in winter 8)
Well done again :clap: :clap: :clap:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby celt54321 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:21 am

Great pics,love the last one...i did this route in september,what a difference a few mounths make........maybe oneday :clap:
celt54321

Munros:50   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:3

Postby gman » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:38 am

Alteknacker wrote:Am I the only one with high avalanche anxiety???

Definitely not, Number 5 Gully has a reputation for avalanches but if you're doing Ledge Route you cross it in a couple of minutes so you have a brief exposure (SAIS forecast was moderate). Old cornices tend to hang on till a thaw but I wouldn't fancy hacking through one, more experienced climbers would have no problem though. I usually have a plan B if things look or feel dodgy on the day.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:59 pm

Lots of useful information here, cheers :thumbup:
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland