walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Tarken Twosome

Glen Tarken Twosome

Postby Benaden887 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:48 pm

Grahams included on this walk: Creag Each, Creag Ruadh

Date walked: 09/03/2016

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 13.2 km

Ascent: 954m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Wed. I`m here at Loch Earn for the graham pair of Creags Each and Ruadh. They sit either side of the U shaped glen that is Tarken. The loch is home to Neish island, this minor clan built a keep on a once crannog at Stfillans, where by boat they raided close neighbours and the McNabs of Glendochart and Loch Tay. The keep was destroyed on order of James 4th, but the clan retained residence of the ruin and continued their reeving ways. Come 1522 after a raid on the McNabs cattle - the resulting clan battle in GlenBoltachan saw all but 20 of the Neishes wiped out - Bloody days. Time gone by, pals came up here to camp and climb the Tarken boulder - a massive block of schist that landsliped from Creag Each, then the 2.5mile walkin put me off. I never did hear how they got on.The snow lies above 400m - easy going, up track by farm , old railway line - sheilings - one named jerusalem, fully furnished - to the sheep pens and sunshine. Leaving the track I crunch uphill over dead bracken and dwarf heather to Meall Reamhar (agin) where patches of snow gradually merge to form a white vista. Cold N wind brings out the jacket - soft going then hard neve, until I top out at the small cairn. Views here extensive - Vorlich and A`chroin - Balquidder hills, Tarmigan, Lawers group, Ruadh my next hill, Chonzie beyond and glen Artney duo. Bright sunshine is tempered by the wind - no place to linger - cross deep snows and angle down to the Tarken Boulder. Impressive ! Sheep scatter before me as I take a break. The track below swings around the headwall of the glen and back down the other side - another leg crosses over to Lochan Breaclaich and Loch Tay. It was this route, that in 1612 the final Mcneish chapter would be written. Returning from Comrie along the line of the now A85, came a few McNabs leading packhorses laden with food and drink for their Christmas cheer. The Neish laid ambush, perloined the goods and rowed back to the ruined keep safe in the knowledge they owned the only boats on the loch. The enraged McNab chieftan called on his 4 eldest sons, who that night , hefted their skiff up from Loch Tay over the hills to Earn, rowed to the keep and slaughtered all withinn (Bar 2 weans who were hiding) recovered the goods and took the heads back to Killin as proof. Its said- that tired, they left the skiff at the top of the glen - where parts could still be seen into 1900s. The Mcnab crest shows a severed head and a boat with two oars. I cross the basin on firm ground to reach track, a gorge with waterfall and small dam - Hydro works link most of these glens. I climb beside the gorge, over heather to soft snow and bogtrot the 2km to the rocky bastion that hems the summit of Ruadh for similar views. Loch Eas Domhain is frozen and snow covered A break then down icy slopes, S, for a wee glissade to a frozen offshoot of Creige ruaidhe. Open hillside another bogtrot gains the track and so the car. - seen enroute Farmer in 4x4 mountain hares brown and white, plenty birds lochside, grouse pheasants sheep an mair sheep. Hills looking great wi snowy tops . A good day again.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Benaden887
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:153   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:46
Wainwrights:39   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland