walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creag Dubh - waiting game on a Glen Spean Graham

Creag Dubh - waiting game on a Glen Spean Graham

Postby Graeme D » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:03 pm

Grahams included on this walk: Creag Dhubh (Glen Spean)

Date walked: 02/04/2016

Time taken: 1.9 hours

Distance: 5.2 km

Ascent: 480m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had pulled out of the upcoming Spring meet in Gairloch as I will be on a family holiday in Northumberland, and therefore I was quite keen to get out during the first week of the school holiday fortnight.

My original notion, which I had been harbouring for quite some time, was to head up on the Friday after work and spend up to 3 nights in A'Chuil bothy in Glen Dessary, taking in the various neighbourhood Munros and Corbetts in the process. If I was able to engineer an early departure (which it transpires I was), I might even be able to grab a couple of minor summits en route. Kaiserstein had been quite keen to join me if I could pick him up in Fort Bill and afterwards he would make his way up to Gairloch by what my brother used to like to refer to as "pubic transport".

As it was, the forecast looked a bit patchy for the weekend. I messaged Dave to say that my plans were in the balance and that I may head elsewhere and/or head out on Tuesday of the following week, and we agreed to do our own things this time.

When I mentioned to my wife that I may head off Tuesday until Thursday or Friday, she wasn't so happy with the possible change of plan, as she expected to have to work late (and possibly early too) during the week, to get ready for her week away from the coalface. The Empire would not be able to cope otherwise!

So, the weekend it was. Friday was grim so I decided to ditch the idea of heading straight north and went home instead to celebrate the end of term with a few cold beers from the fridge. I set the alarm for 4.30 and reorganised my gear which had been rather hastily and unceremoniously heaved into the back of the car that morning.

I was motoring north up the A9 by 5.30 and in the car park by the Commando Memorial north of Spean Bridge before 7.30, where I pondered my next move. It was still a pretty grotty looking morning, dry but with little evidence yet of how things were going to go, and in which direction.

The Grey Corries were an option (but only if things improved quickly and dramatically), as were some of the Loch Quoich Munros. That would be a fair distance still to travel though, so I'd want to see signs of improvement in the weather before committing to that. If things didn't improve much there was always Geal Charn (the Garva Bridge one) and the neighbouring Corbett.

In the meantime, I decided to do Creag Dubh, the Graham in Glen Spean opposite Cnap Cruinn, between Roybridge and the Laggan Dam, above the little church of Cille Choirill. This was one of the ones I had had in mind for Friday afternoon/evening if I had come up then, but now it would provide a short route of two hours or so and buy me some valuable time.

I drove back through Spean Bridge and Roy Bridge and the short distance along the minor road leading from the A86 to the church.

After a wee quick investigation of the building and the graveyard, I followed the conventional book route north from the parking area to the junction of fences, from where I headed north east then east up the broad ridge to the summit trig and cairn. Glen Roy looked pretty clag bound, as did the two Roughburn Munros (are they ever anything else?), but there were little hints that things may be clearing up further north west.

After a few moments at the summit, I took a more direct line of descent south west down the heathery hillside towards the bottom end of the graveyard and the waiting car.

Only remaining question - where now for the business end of the day? :wink:

Creag Dubh from near the door of the church

Heading north to the junction of fences

Cnap Cruinn, the Corries and the Aonachs from the junction of fences

A clagged in Glen Roy from the trig pillar

Beinn Teallach and Beinn a'Chaorainn - are these two ever not clagged in??????

Cnap Cruinn, the Corries and the Aonachs from the summit

Trig climbing against the clock. Only took one attempt!

Descent route

Cnap Cruinn and graveyard

Graveyard close up

A last look back at the warm up act

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Graeme D

Munros:225   Corbetts:107
Grahams:65   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:56   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:27   Islands:6

Re: Creag Dubh - waiting game on a Glen Spean Graham

Postby kevsbald » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:12 pm

Nice wee pad by the looks of it. What a pretty wee kirk.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:264   Corbetts:119
Grahams:76   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:15   

Re: Creag Dubh - waiting game on a Glen Spean Graham

Postby weaselmaster » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:17 pm

Good timing Graeme - got this one pencilled in for Sunday so your route will come in handy.
Pity you're missing out on the meet - as are we - after driving down from Skye today I ain';t heading up to Gairloch tomorrow.
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:217   Corbetts:44
Grahams:76   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:367   Hewitts:31
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland