walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mungrisedale Common - it's not so bad!

Mungrisedale Common - it's not so bad!

Postby richardkchapman » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:08 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Bannerdale Crags, Bowscale Fell, Mungrisdale Common, Souther Fell

Hewitts included on this walk: Bannerdale Crags, Bowscale Fell

Date walked: 07/04/2016

Time taken: 6.5

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 990m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Mungrisedale Common.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Weather forecast wasn't good, and no-one else wanted to walk with me, so I decided to get Mungrisedale Common "out of the way". It's one I've been putting off as Wainwright's description of it is so off-putting - indeed, I think it put me off the whole of the Northern Fells, which is a shame as all the other ones I have climbed this week have been lovely.

I decided to park near Scales and ascend via Mousethwaite Col, taking in Bannerdale Crags on the way.

ImageParking at Scales

A sign on the gate leading to Mousethwaite Col warned that the footbridge I had planned to use on my route to Bannerdale Crags had been washed away in the winter floods - but Wainwright seemed to suggest that there was another path across the stream a little way downstream, so I decided to hope for the best.

ImageWhat's left of the footbridge

As it turned out I couldn't locate the Wainwright alternative, but the river was crossable at the site of the missing footbridge thanks to a few well-placed planks

One reason for selecting the route I had up Bannerdale Crags was that Wainwright promised unique views of Blencathra and Sharp Edge.

I couldn't find the path promised, so ended up making my own way up to the ridge, pausing every so often to photograph Sharp Edge.

ImageBlencathra

ImageBlencathra

Bannerdale Crags has two summits - the slightly lower one overlooking the crags is the nicer one

ImageBannerdale Crags second summit

ImageBannerdale Crags summit

The true summit has the advantage of a great view of Blencathra though.

ImageBlencathra from Bannerdale Crags

I decided to delay the inevitable journey to Mungrisedale Common by heading first to Bowscale Fell - the path follows the top of the crags to avoid the bogs.

ImageBannerdale Crags

ImageView from Bowscale Fell

From Bowscale Fell it was down to Glenderamackin Col, then over to the common. Depsite Wainwright's descriptions, there was a clear path all the way - evan a cairn marking where to turn off.

ImageCairn marking path to Mungrisedale Common

It's a fairly dull tramp over wet ground to the summit.

ImageMungrisedale Common

But while it's never going to be my favourite fell, it's has quite a few features of note (some no doubt gained since Wainwright described it)

It has a tarn. And a summit cairn. Indeed, they are neatly combined into a single feature:

ImageA tarn with a cairn

It has paths. Leading in every direction of the compass, all converging at the summit cairn.

ImagePaths in all directions

ImagePaths in all directions

It has a view of the sea

ImageSea view

It has a view of a lake

ImageLake view

And lastly but, I think, uniquely, it's the only fell I can remember climbing where (as near as makes no difference) it was downhill all the way to the summit.

After taking my leave of the common, I headed back to Glenderamackin Col then down the path past Scales Tarn.

ImageWalkers on Sharp Edge

When I got to Scales Beck I decided to take a detour up to the tarn for a few photos

ImageScales Beck

ImageScales Tarn panorama

ImageScales Tarn and Sharp Edge

ImageSharp Edge panorama

ImageSharp Edge

I waited a while for decent light, though it never really arrived, then headed back down to Mousethwaite Col. I got there in good time, and decided to carry on to Souther Fell summit before returning to the car.

Great views in all directions from Souther Fell

ImageHigh Street from Souther Fell

ImageBlencathra from Souther Fell

ImageBannerdale Crags, from Souther Fell

ImageDescending Souther Fell

Then back to Mousethwaite Fell for the last time, and down to the car.

ImageView from Mousethwaite Col

A most enjoyable walk, despite my reservations about Mungrisedale Common. Views of Blencathra more than made up for it.
richardkchapman
Mountaineer

Fionas:1   
Hewitts:95
Wainwrights:211   

Re: Mungrisedale Common - it's not so bad!

Postby ChrisW » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:24 am

The gang deserted you again RC :roll: Can't understand how anyone might find this hike anything but wonderful, beautiful scenery throughout (wonderful photos may be helping) but all in all I'm with you, not so bad at all :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Mungrisedale Common - it's not so bad!

Postby MiniRambo » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:15 am

'Tarn and summit cairn combined' :lol: :lol:

Good report and equally good photos, enjoyed your report, thanks.
MiniRambo
Mountain Walker

Munros:52   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:214   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland