walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Up by Glen Roy

Up by Glen Roy

Postby weaselmaster » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:30 pm

Grahams included on this walk: Cnap Cruinn, Creag Dhubh (Glen Spean)

Date walked: 10/04/2016

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 31.3 km

Ascent: 1698m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Back home for a day from Skye then back up the A82 for some Graham action. Allison was coming along for some low level walking as part of her rehab, miffed that I was continuing to bag Grahams without her, but there was just a bit much snow on the Munros you know :wink: I'd decided to tackle Cnap Cruinn from the Lairig Leacach, which would allow me to tag on another simm - the west top of Stob Coire Easian and would, I thought, make for a more scenic route than those from the north or east. Having passed the 1000 mark for simms, I need to start taking their collection more seriously :roll:

We camped at one of my favourite campsites, the lovely, friendly Bunroy. We could see the northern aspect of the hill from the campsite and I did, briefly, contemplate wading across the River Spean just outside the tent and heading up the hillside. Friday night was rainy after we went to bed and we woke to find the hillside covered in new snow. I set off in the car for Coire Choille farm and the cratered road up to the wee minister, having decided against my wet start option crossing the river. I could make out the rear of Cruach innse as a whitened mound up ahead - clouds were quite low, just skimming the top of the hill. The going was good underfoot and I made reasonable progress, past Cruach then Sgurr Innse, blackened and gnarled hill that it is. I was making for Bealach an Sgurr which was a bit boggy underfoot. Ahead of me was the white triangle of Stob Ban; over to my left the summit of Stob Coire Easian hove into view above the knobbly rise that was my initial target. Sugrr Innse was a shapely peak from this angle, rising as a rocky pyramid. I ascended steeply on wet grass up to the 662 spot and stopped for lunch. The weather had changed by this time, snow and hail keeping me company as I had my coffee.

ImageP1120770 by Al, on Flickr

Cruach Innse
ImageP1120772 by Al, on Flickr

Sgurr Innse
ImageP1120775 by Al, on Flickr

Stob Ban
ImageP1120779 by Al, on Flickr

Southern aspect of Sgurr Innse
ImageP1120780 by Al, on Flickr

View over to the Grey Corries
ImageP1120785 by Al, on Flickr

Snow comes on - must be lunchtime!
ImageP1120786 by Al, on Flickr

From here my path took me down into Coire na Cabaig, passing round behind Sgurr Innse and onto flatter ground towards the brown rise of Cnap Cruinn. The Easains, on my right, appeared interesting from this approach, Stob Coire Easain having a long ridge, then the heavily snow laden high bealach between the two hills and the more rounded mass of Stob Coire Mheadoin. One to remember for another time perhaps. I crossed the Allt Ruidh Ghobhainm and started up the gentle heather clad slopes of Cnap Cruinn. It's quite a long hill from this direction but I finally spotted the pretty summit cairn.

Stob Ban
ImageP1120788 by Al, on Flickr

View to Cnap Cruinn
ImageP1120790 by Al, on Flickr

The east side of the Innses
ImageP1120794 by Al, on Flickr

Easians
ImageP1120795 by Al, on Flickr

Almost at the top of Cnap Cruinn
ImageP1120801 by Al, on Flickr

Summit Cairn
ImageP1120802 by Al, on Flickr

Easains from Cruinn
ImageP1120803 by Al, on Flickr

From here I continued NW over the adjacent summit of Beinn Chlainaig, another simm. Views continued to be special - the Easains and the Grey Corries both looking impressive. Next followed a long grassy descent off the NW shoulder of Chlainiag and round the northern side of Cnoc nan Ceann Mora, aiming for the parking spot on the other side of the Allt Leachdach. The sides of the river are steep - I found myself going through a gate to an intake - best avoided. The map also showed a dotted line of a dismantled railway that I thought I'd investigate - however unless you are much braver than me you would not choose to use the residual tracks to cross over :lol: I had to continue on about half a km to the north to find a spot where the gorge had become much shallower and the river crossing was accomplished without mishap. A thoroughly enjoyable walk today.

Over to Beinn Chlainaig
ImageP1120804 by Al, on Flickr

Corries
ImageP1120808 by Al, on Flickr

Southern pano
ImageP1120809 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1120811 by Al, on Flickr

Aonach Mhor
ImageP1120816 by Al, on Flickr

River crossing option for James Bond types
ImageP1120817 by Al, on Flickr

River crossing for mortals
ImageP1120818 by Al, on Flickr

Fungus interlude
ImageP1120819 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1120820 by Al, on Flickr

cnapc.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We had good enough weather to be able to sit outside for a bit at the campsite, enjoying the sinking sun reflected in the calm waters of the River Spean and the milling around of the resident ducks. A cold but dry night followed.

ImageP1120822 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1120829 by Al, on Flickr

Sunday's adventure concerned Creag Dhubh on the other side of the A86. I'd contemplated several options for this one, including Graeme D's route from earlier this week. However, Allison had been out exploring the road to Bohenie whilst I was up Cnap Cruinn and it seemed quite possible to do the hill from that side - it would also mean that she could accompany me for part of the walk, which would be nice for a change :wink: So we packed up the tent and left the site to park a short distance up the Bohenie road. You could shorten the walk by :wink: driving up to Bohenie if wished, but we enjoyed the walk along a very quiet road. As we slowly gained height the hills of Glen Roy came into view - Leanna Mhor and one of the Carn Deargs. At Bohenie the road continues as a forestry track. The views behind, of the Corries and the Aonachs were fine.

Approaching Bohenie
ImageP1120833 by Al, on Flickr

View back to the Aonachs/Corries
ImageP1120836 by Al, on Flickr

Glen Roy hills
ImageP1120840 by Al, on Flickr

At around the 267m spot height I struck off SE heading for the shoulder of Meallan Odhar whilst Allison continued along the track. Wearing approach shoes rather than boots, I had the delights of icy water soaking my toes as I crossed the tussocky, boggy ground. Ascent was fair and before too long I was at the top of Meallan Odhar looking across at the body of Creag Dhubh. A little more effort had me at the trig point - good views back to the Easains/ Aonachs and ahead to Beinn Teallach and Beinn a'Chaorainn. It was a fine day to be out, T Shirt weather. From the summit I came off NW aiming for the plantation to the east of Bohenie. The going was a bit wet, and when I got down to the deer fence by the plantation, wetter still. I caught up with Allison as we neared Bohenie and we had a bite to eat before heading back to the car. Her walking - at least on the flat - has definately eased in the last fortnight, so here's hoping for further recovery that gets her back up hills soon.

Geese
ImageP1120841 by Al, on Flickr

Meallan Odhar
ImageP1120844 by Al, on Flickr

Corries
ImageP1120847 by Al, on Flickr

Aonachs
ImageP1120848 by Al, on Flickr

Creag Dhubh
ImageP1120850 by Al, on Flickr

Beinn teallach/Beinn a'Chaorainn
ImageP1120851 by Al, on Flickr

Easains
ImageP1120853 by Al, on Flickr

summit Creag Dhubh
ImageP1120854 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1120856 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1120862 by Al, on Flickr

dhubh.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:217   Corbetts:44
Grahams:76   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:367   Hewitts:31
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland