walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Rather Unorthodox Way Up

A Rather Unorthodox Way Up

Postby Backpacker » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:00 pm

Route description: Stob Ban (Mamores) and Mullach nan Coirean

Munros included on this walk: Mullach nan Coirean, Stob Bàn (Mamores)

Date walked: 16/04/2016

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1155m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I haven't done a trip report in a while but after yesterdays escapades I thought I would.

After a week of debate and me wanting a drier underfoot outing after last weeks Gairloch WH meet, we decided to head into the Mamores.

I met up with Dave and Jim at the starting point and we decided to do the round anti-clockwise and we headed up through the forest with the conditions looking like they might play ball.

ImageStob Ban & Mullach nan Coirean (1 of 43) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

That's the last photo lower down on the way up as I'll explain. We followed the path through the forest and ended up somewhere taking a wrong turn as the track petered out to a trampled path eventually to nothing and we found ourselves below the ridge we should have been on.

We had a bit of a debate with the course of action being decided to head straight up, it started off not TOO bad going up through the remains of a felled forest but as we gained height the angle got steeper not helped with nothing but 3ft heather to plough through. at one point I noticed a grassy section over to my left with some rocks above it so made my way over, the grassy section helped bit the rocky part was just scree possibly avalanche remains. There were a couple of boulders the size of a football dislodged and sent hurtling down into the nothingness below. Ok, better stick to the heather.

Finally the dear fence came into view and we were finally back on track. It took us about an hour to fix our mistake so no idea if we gained or lost any time. With us being back on track I was happy to whip the camera out and take some pictures.

ImageStob Ban & Mullach nan Coirean (2 of 43) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

ImageStob Ban & Mullach nan Coirean (4 of 43) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

With us now being back on track it was a simple hop over the stile (after finding a way of getting the dogs through the fence) and an easy ascent up and saunter over to the days 1st target Mullach nan Coirean. Due to the rather lasrge summit area you do lose a bit of depth in the view but the views were still outstanding.

ImageStob Ban & Mullach nan Coirean (7 of 43) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

ImageStob Ban & Mullach nan Coirean (10 of 43) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

ImageStob Ban & Mullach nan Coirean (15 of 43) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

After a bite to eat and get some layers on as the wind had picked right up and it was baltic, we headed along the ridge towards our 2nd target of the day, Stob Ban. The ridge is pretty much a high level stroll with very few ups and downs. Despite the cold and occasional snow shower on our way over, there were still plenty of photo opportunities and they were taken advantage of.

ImageStob Ban & Mullach nan Coirean (16 of 43) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

ImageStob Ban & Mullach nan Coirean (18 of 43) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

ImageStob Ban & Mullach nan Coirean (23 of 43) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

ImageStob Ban & Mullach nan Coirean (20 of 43) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

The picture above shows our mistake earlier in the day, from the forest track in the bottom of the picture, we took a straight line approach to the ridge :shock: :shock:

As we approached the ascent we met a couple of walkers who we had spoken to in the carpark coming the other way who said that the going up should be good but to watch out for a cornice in the dip before the final push up Stob Ban. sure enough it was an easy enough ascent. I probably could have put my crampons of but sticking by the rock I had plenty of grip not to worry.

The views from this summit were better than the views from the previous.

ImageStob Ban & Mullach nan Coirean (27 of 43) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

ImageStob Ban & Mullach nan Coirean (28 of 43) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

ImageStob Ban & Mullach nan Coirean (30 of 43) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

All that was left was the walk down, bit steep initially but eventually leveled out

ImageStob Ban & Mullach nan Coirean (31 of 43) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

ImageStob Ban & Mullach nan Coirean (32 of 43) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

ImageStob Ban & Mullach nan Coirean (34 of 43) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

ImageStob Ban & Mullach nan Coirean (35 of 43) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

ImageStob Ban & Mullach nan Coirean (40 of 43) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

ImageStob Ban & Mullach nan Coirean (41 of 43) by GaryE1981, on Flickr

Picture above shows the large cornice coming off/approaching Stob Ban.

We just followed the path back arriving back at the car just shy of 7 hours later.
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Re: A Rather Unorthodox Way Up

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:52 pm

Great report and photos. I think footpaths through forests are always the biggest navigational challenge :lol:
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Jaxter » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:45 pm

Forest footpaths.... Reminds me of D of E where my group spent 3 hours lost in a forest....told them they shoulda listened to me!! :lol:

Cracking photos! Yesterday was a great day to be out! :D
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:23 am

Looks like it was a great day. Some really excellent pics :)
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland