walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

bien sculaird ( via HEARTBREAK RIDGE )

bien sculaird ( via HEARTBREAK RIDGE )

Postby mountainwimp » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:27 pm

Route description: Beinn Sgulaird

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Sgulaird

Date walked: 16/04/2016

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 14.8 km

Ascent: 1085m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Seeing Bien Sculaird on a list of the ten easiest Munroe's we decided it would be a good idea to try this one as an introduction to Highland walking, we recently completed the Wainwrights and have been looking for a challenge although we already knew that we will never manage all the 268 listed Munroe's as some of the big ones are well above our capabilities and nerves.
leaving Sheffield on Friday morning we drove up to Oban only stopping to have a quick bomb round the shores of Loche Lomond on a couple of segways, what a crack that is, we have got to do that some more.
we found a wonderful b&b less than five miles from the start of the walk and using Walkhighlands route description and map proceeded to start up the bulldozed track and as described soon left the tree line behind and started to get some incredible views down the loche and out to sea. the path was very steep once off the track but in no time we reached the odd part of the walk where we had to drop down into a little valley cross a fence and then start up again. this I have never encountered but it should have prepared us for what was to come.
putting our heads down we cracked on and in no time we reached what we though was almost the top. I had read the route description but was not prepared for what I saw. the top was still farther than we had walked, Jan my walking buddy and all-round super woman turned to me and exclaimed" I want to cry". "no time for that doll " I said, "lets get moving, aint no spalping ( Rab C cursing ) Munroe going to beat us Sassenachs" and off we went along what we will now remember as heartbreak ridge, what we didn't see from where we were was that not only is it still a long way off but it also includes a roller coaster ridge that has rocks and scree galore.
still we pressed on only to stand aghast looking down the last lot of boulder's and up the ridge of doom that would be our final pull to the top. we made it down to the bottom of the ridge and looked back in amazement at what we had just done and now really had the bit between our teeth, nothing was going to stop us now and off we went charging all the way to the top without a break, crossed the hard packed snow and super Jan scrambled up onto the cairn to declare triumph over our first real Munroe. then it started to snow.
this we had not expected and we had inadvertently left our spikes in the car, luckily it only lasted ten minutes or so and was mainly hail that blew off the ridge leaving it slightly wet but not slippery in the least. tired legs now made our way back and we were soon at the far end of heartbreak ridge looking back and wondering what all the fuss was about, thrilled to have survived our first Munroe I put on my music and walked down listening to Blondie followed by Paul wellar, what a fantastic start to our Munroe adventures, roll on Bien More.
mountainwimp
Mountain Walker

Munros:2   
Hewitts:105
Wainwrights:214   

Re: bien sculaird ( via HEARTBREAK RIDGE )

Postby jes98101 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:16 pm

:clap: Well done!!!! That's the first one under your belt........it's all downhill from here. Brilliant report and had us laughing after a disastrous walking weekend ourselves!!! This was on our cards to do on Saturday but changed our mind at the last minute and ended up attempting Beinn Mhanach.......long story and never even got started!!!!! Keep the reports coming.......:lol: :lol: :lol: p.s. Don't want to disillusion you but there are 282 Munros up here North of the Border. :crazy:
jes98101
Mountain Walker

Munros:169   Corbetts:12
Fionas:5   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:25 am

Did you take on the biggest challenge with this one...???

(pronouncing the name..... :D )
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:04 am

Nice one!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby jmarkb » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:19 pm

Well done!

mountainwimp wrote:Seeing Bien Sculaird on a list of the ten easiest Munroe's

Don't know which list you saw, but it wouldn't be on my list of the 10 easiest!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby mountainwimp » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:30 pm

jes98101 wrote::clap: Well done!!!! That's the first one under your belt........it's all downhill from here. Brilliant report and had us laughing after a disastrous walking weekend ourselves!!! This was on our cards to do on Saturday but changed our mind at the last minute and ended up attempting Beinn Mhanach.......long story and never even got started!!!!! Keep the reports coming.......:lol: :lol: :lol: p.s. Don't want to disillusion you but there are 282 Munros up here North of the Border. :crazy:

cheers for the reply and putting me right on the amount of munros, had a great weekend up there, looking forward to our next Bien Hope in May. take care,
pete & Jan :D
mountainwimp
Mountain Walker

Munros:2   
Hewitts:105
Wainwrights:214   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland