walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glenbuchat Ridge

Glenbuchat Ridge

Postby RicKamila » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:07 pm

Route description: Glenbuchat and Creag an Sgòr, near Strathdon

Date walked: 28/07/2010

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 425m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

What a fantastic day. We headed up mid-morning to the wonderful Glenbuchat Castle. After spending 15 mins exploring this magnificent ruin, we headed back to the car and kitted up for our longest walk yet. This was the first time I would be wearing my Berghaus walking trousers too, which I was really looking forward to.

We made our way back to the main road and headed up the road to Glenbuchat, before turning into the farm where the hill trail begins. The way up to Little Firbriggs Hill was quite tough going. We didn't expect it to be so steep, but carried on to the top and celebrated with something to eat. After a short break, we carried on to Meikle Firbriggs Hill and then on to Creag an Eunan before making our way back to the downward track. Even though it was mid-summer, the beanie and gloves made an appearance due to the cold northerly wind.

The walk back down the hill was quite quick and I was really disappointed when I turned around near the bottom and saw a Tornado flying right over the top of the ridge that we had just been on. Oh well, there's always another hill to climb where I will see one at eye-level.

We wandered the 4km's back down the road and saw some lovely ponies along the way, before finally reaching the castle car park again. 13km's walked and boy did we feel good!!

Rating: 10/10
Attachments
DSC00508.JPG
Glenbuchat Castle, looking across farmland.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland