walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn Bhac from Blair Atholl

Carn Bhac from Blair Atholl

Postby weedavie » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:02 pm

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Bhac

Date walked: 21/04/2016

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 900m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I was discussing this trip with an old mountaineer. He was trying to work out why I was going and he was exploring possible attractions, none of which Carn Bhac's got. In the end he looked puzzled and said "So it's just a big brown thing?" I nodded.

I came from Blair Atholl because I once cycled by Fealar Lodge from Blair and I could see Carn Bhac's not far from there. I'd forgotten how totally knackering that cycle was. I took the early train to Blair.

The track up Glen Tilt's been badly hit by rain and is blocked by landslides. There's a diversion before the first bridge that adds a little climbing on the way out and something of a cardiac arrest on the way back. I was not far short of two hours to do the 20 kilometres (and 300 metres ascent).

A few hundred metres on I came to the bridge over the Tarf. This is the nearest this route's got to an attraction and it's kind of cute. It got put up after one of the gentry drowned here more than a century ago.
690 IMG_2548.jpg
It gives a decent view of the falls.
690 IMG_2552.jpg

Following the path from here to Fealar, it all seemed just pleasant. I was seeing plenty of wild life, ring ouzels, black grouse, golden plovers. Beinn a'Ghlo was looking quite Alpine from this angle.
690 IMG_2557.jpg
I couldn't see Carn Bhac, but. As I passed the lodge I could see a lower top, a big brown thing, but the hill itself was obscured.
690 IMG_2556.jpg
Fealar Lodge is I think the remotest permanent dwelling in Scotland. Much of it is pink and I remember somebody, maybe The Angry Corrie, saying this was the colour of choice of its Saudi owners at the time.

It's a very easy walk, dry ground and a light vehicle track most of the way up but I was not moving fast, kind of hammered from the cycle. When I got to the summit, going on to Beinn Uitharn Mhor was incompatible with catching a 5.20 train.
690 IMG_2559.jpg
Iutharn with impressive cornice.
I saw there was a Geal Charn, a minor top to the west. You can't have too many Geal Charns in your life. I headed that way. Looking back, I got a view of Carn Bhac for the first time. It's actually a big grey thing.
690 IMG_2561.jpg

After Geal Charn it became a bit of a bog-trot with views of big hills.
690 IMG_2563.jpg
Then I reached the Allt Garbh Buidhe where there's a really well maintained path (looks like it's a cycle route from Braemar.). I cycled to Blair in half the time it took me to cycle out. A bit unnerving because my hydraulic brakes seemed hardly to be working. Still, it gave me twenty minutes for a pint before the train.
weedavie
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland