walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Aberdeenshire Diversion

Aberdeenshire Diversion

Postby Mountaineer » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:38 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Ben Newe, Craiglich

Date walked: 22/04/2016

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 400m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Taking advantage of what turned out to be a chilly but otherwise very pleasant late afternoon and early evening as I drove from a meeting in Aberdeen to Grantown, a couple of short diversions gave me the opportunity to get a bit of exercise and Nick a couple of sub-2000s.

I started Craiglich from the parking place on the B9119 at NJ 525 062 and walked 100m back north east up the road to take the obvious track though a field bearing SW and then swinging ESE. This led to a style at a gate and continued into the forestry. I took the second junction on the left, which was marked by a cairn, which led to the summit after about 1km further.

The summit was topped by a remarkably large cairn which was in a something of a state of disrepair and gave great views including to Lochnagar, Morven and Pressandye.

Returning to my car a short drive of about 20km took me to the starting point for Ben Newe which was a marked parking area minor road connecting A944 with Glenbuchat at NJ 373 136 100m along a dirt track leading north east from the road just after Altdachie.

An information board was located here and there were several way marked footpaths indicated. I took the blue path which first led north east to pick up a track running south east. Climbing gradually all the way a left turn after a fenced area, then after another 100m right again into a fine section of woodland.

Following another way marked left turn, I could see a fallen tree across the track a little ahead and had to choose between this way or taking a small path emerging from the trees on the right next to a broken forestry operations sign. I continued straight ahead - tree easily avoided - to the edge of the forest at which point a feint path led uphill, meeting the other path I mentioned just short of the rocky summit.

Ladylea Hill, a now demoted Graham only lay a couple of kilometres away, indeed Ben Newe only misses the 2000 ft mark by a hundred feet or so. Like Creaglich, it was a great viewpoint. After locating what I assumed to be the Celtic Well (which I didn't fancy drinking from) I made my back down along the alternative track on which a number of small ramps had been built by mountain bikers. I have to confess I was happier in my boots than I would have been on my bike - I can't help but feel that a few pained cries have been heard here in the past.

In summary a very pleasant interlude on a couple of delightful and fairly rarely frequented hills in a lovely corner of the Highlands.
Mountaineer
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:218   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:98   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:14   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland