walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Spring on Beinn a' Chlachair

Spring on Beinn a' Chlachair


Postby Cairngorm creeper » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:04 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a'Chlachair

Date walked: 20/04/2016

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 23.6 km

Ascent: 923m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beinn Chlachair has been on our radar for some time and as we had been up its two neighbours on shorter winter days we treated ourselves to a full east to west traverse of this enticing mountains.
image.jpeg
The route

8:30 and we are parked at Luiblea and on our way.
image.jpeg
Crossing the Spean with Beinn a' Chlachair beckoning us forward
image.jpeg
An hour later at Lochan Na -H- Earba
image.jpeg
Admiring the views before we cross the ford into Coire Pitridh
image.jpeg
Veiw from Bealach Leamhain to Craig Megiadh
image.jpeg
11:00 Standing at the Eastern end of Beinn A' Chlachair wondering which is the best route up.

We took the line to the right,
image.jpeg
Short section of snow
then to minimise step kicking with sore toes we scrabbled (Not quite scrambling) over the boulders.
image.jpeg
Geal Charn behind us.
It took just 30 minutes to complete this steep section and we were on the flat top and admiring the views
image.jpeg
Loch a' Bealach Leamhain
image.jpeg
The top was far more expansive than I had imagined
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Cornice around the top of Coire Mor Chlachair
image.jpeg
The clouds celebrating the summit approach
image.jpeg
Distance peak becomes a cairn
image.jpeg
12:50 and we are at the top
We eat out at all the finest places. :D
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Anoach Beag, our next challenge.

It was a wrench to leave on such a beautiful spring day but 13:30 and we are on our way.
image.jpeg
Good views as we descended the west ridge.
image.jpeg
Initially patches of snow and small boulders.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Boulders give way to heather and grass

The 90 minutes of descent passed quickly, with the easy walking and expansive views but I think it would make a soul destroying slog up with nothing but false tops ahead of you. Especailly given the length of the walk in.
Once we reached the Altt Cam we were more than ready for our next brew then fortified by noodles and mulligatawny soup off down the track to the car.
image.jpeg
A final look back
image.jpeg

17:30 and the end of a memorable spring day traversing Beinn Chlachair.
User avatar
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 597
Munros:137   Corbetts:15
Grahams:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   
Joined: Jun 4, 2013
Location: Nr. Grantown-on-Spey

Re: Spring on Beinn a' Chlachair

Postby jamesb63 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:17 pm

You got some great pictures of your day and also got great weather for it
well done ,its nice to see hills I have still to do :D
User avatar
jamesb63
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 397
Munros:215   
Sub 2000:1   
Joined: Apr 14, 2015
Location: Alexandria

Re: Spring on Beinn a' Chlachair

Postby skenesir » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:14 pm

Hello! I was the (possibly the only) other walker who said hello to you on the approaches to the summit (wearing the shorts) passing through one of the snowfields - seems like an age ago now as I look out my Aboyne home window to frequent snow/sleet showers pushing through today - That was a fairly steep descent off the plateau down to the stalkers path avoiding the large snow patches...getting up in half an hour was good going....I got real lucky on the ascent of it's neighbour Geal Charn...just before the summit I got extremely fortunate to sight twice (and photograph) a white tailed eagle...the last I saw it was heading your general direction! - I Enjoyed your report and hope you did not end up with the sun burn I did and may well pass by you in future walking.
skenesir
Wanderer
 
Posts: 1
Munros:192   Corbetts:11
Grahams:4   
Sub 2000:11   
Joined: Apr 13, 2012

Re: Spring on Beinn a' Chlachair

Postby Petr Dakota » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:16 pm

Some great photos, I love the combination of colours with snow :clap:
User avatar
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 1101
Munros:231   Corbetts:27
Grahams:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:8   
Joined: Sep 3, 2014
Location: North Lanarkshire

Re: Spring on Beinn a' Chlachair

Postby dogplodder » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:25 pm

Lovely photos on a lovely day! :D
User avatar
dogplodder
 
Posts: 3357
Munros:218   Corbetts:51
Grahams:15   
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:8   
Joined: Jul 16, 2011

Re: Spring on Beinn a' Chlachair

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:40 am

jamesb63 wrote:You got some great pictures of your day and also got great weather for it
well done ,its nice to see hills I have still to do :D

Thank you James, hope you and your handsome walking companions have an equally lovely day.
skenesir wrote:Hello! I was the (possibly the only) other walker who said hello to you on the approaches to the summit (wearing the shorts) passing through one of the snowfields - seems like an age ago now as I look out my Aboyne home window to frequent snow/sleet showers pushing through today - That was a fairly steep descent off the plateau down to the stalkers path avoiding the large snow patches...getting up in half an hour was good going....I got real lucky on the ascent of it's neighbour Geal Charn...just before the summit I got extremely fortunate to sight twice (and photograph) a white tailed eagle...the last I saw it was heading your general direction! - I Enjoyed your report and hope you did not end up with the sun burn I did and may well pass by you in future walking.

Hi Skenesir, glad you enjoyed the report. How lucky are you seeing a white tailed eagle, if it came our way we missed it :( . I'd have loved to have seen it or the pictures. Just after we passed you it looked like that tornado had dive bombed you and knocked you of the mountain. We've had some very wintry weather as well. lets hope the sun returns soon.
Petr Dakota wrote:Some great photos, I love the combination of colours with snow :clap:
Thank you, I was enjoying seeing the seasons change.
dogplodder wrote:Lovely photos on a lovely day! :D
Thank you. It was indeed a lovely day.
User avatar
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 597
Munros:137   Corbetts:15
Grahams:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   
Joined: Jun 4, 2013
Location: Nr. Grantown-on-Spey

Re: Spring on Beinn a' Chlachair

Postby Phil the Hill » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:02 pm

A useful report, thanks, as I'm planning to do this one on my next trip to Scotland at the end of May. I'd been thinking of going up by the west ridge from a wild camp by the Allt Cam in order to combine it with a round of the Aonach Beag group. Is that track bikeable up to the foot of the west ridge? It looks good in your photo but I'm not sure how far up that was taken.
User avatar
Phil the Hill
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 319
Munros:258   Corbetts:26
Grahams:5   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:137
Wainwrights:58   
Joined: Sep 22, 2010
Location: Wallington, Surrey

Re: Spring on Beinn a' Chlachair

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:55 pm

Phil the Hill wrote:A useful report, thanks, as I'm planning to do this one on my next trip to Scotland at the end of May. I'd been thinking of going up by the west ridge from a wild camp by the Allt Cam in order to combine it with a round of the Aonach Beag group. Is that track bikeable up to the foot of the west ridge? It looks good in your photo but I'm not sure how far up that was taken.

Hi Phil, There is a Landrover track to within a couple of Km of the west ridge then it becomes a very muddy path. This report has a few more pictures of this area you may find helpful. http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=61665
User avatar
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 597
Munros:137   Corbetts:15
Grahams:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   
Joined: Jun 4, 2013
Location: Nr. Grantown-on-Spey

Re: Spring on Beinn a' Chlachair

Postby Phil the Hill » Wed May 04, 2016 1:54 pm

Cairngorm creeper wrote:
Phil the Hill wrote:A useful report, thanks, as I'm planning to do this one on my next trip to Scotland at the end of May. I'd been thinking of going up by the west ridge from a wild camp by the Allt Cam in order to combine it with a round of the Aonach Beag group. Is that track bikeable up to the foot of the west ridge? It looks good in your photo but I'm not sure how far up that was taken.

Hi Phil, There is a Landrover track to within a couple of Km of the west ridge then it becomes a very muddy path. This report has a few more pictures of this area you may find helpful. http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=61665


That's helpful, thanks. Good of you to recce my route for me! :thumbup: Looks a bit tussocky for camping, but hopefully I can find somewhere.
User avatar
Phil the Hill
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 319
Munros:258   Corbetts:26
Grahams:5   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:137
Wainwrights:58   
Joined: Sep 22, 2010
Location: Wallington, Surrey

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).



Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?



Return to Walk reports - Scotland

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests