walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blown away - by the views

Blown away - by the views

Postby Towser » Wed May 04, 2016 11:22 pm

Route description: The Old Man of Stoer and the point

Date walked: 30/04/2016

Distance: 7 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It had been a hard week in various ways and so the prospect of a long weekend away couldn't come quick enough. We met up with a group of fellow hill-Jims at the Lochinver Bunkhouse, which turned out to be a modern, comfortable and cosy hostel near the harbour. Due to my busy week, I hadn't made sandwiches and felt a bit like a wet rag, :crazy: so decided I didn't want to rush around in the morning and romp up a hill with the others, who were keen as mustard to get going. Once I had made that decision, things eased off and I settled on the walk to the Old Man of Stoer and Stoer Point, walking from the lighthouse. My lovely husband said he would come with me to keep me company: he is a very easy walking companion.
IMG_4932.JPG
A short distance into the walk, looking back at Stoer lighthouse

The weather was fairer than forecast, with a bit of a breeze. We parked in the car park near the lighthouse, then waited while a 10 minute hail shower with strong winds passed over. We were soon on our way, following the grassy path at the sign post, and keeping close to the coast line. It was occasionally boggy underfoot, but nothing too severe. The excellent views of the cliffs, coastline, coves and beaches were always there to interest. The path was sometimes indistinct, but keeping to the line of the coast was a good guide.
IMG_4935.JPG
Cliff views

IMG_4936.JPG
Looking back - you can just see the lighthouse

When we reached the area where the path moved inland to accommodate an inlet, we found that it became more distinct, taking us at an angle to the bottom, where there were stepping stones over a wee burn, then stone steps going up the other side. We hoped that the sheep with her lambs knew just how perilously close they were to the edge!
IMG_4940.JPG
A more distinct path led us down, and up the other side

IMG_4937.JPG
A dizzy look down at a bay

IMG_4945.JPG
So close to the edge, but quite relaxed

We continued on the line of the cliff, passing the outcrop Cirean Geardail which we admired from the path before turning right, continuing up hill to keep along the top of the cliffs. The view of the cliffs further along the coast was impressive.
IMG_4948.JPG
Continuing along the top of the cliffs

IMG_4953.JPG
Cirean Geardail

Shortly we could see the Old Man of Stoer himself in the distance.
IMG_4954.JPG
First glimpse of Old Man of Stoer

IMG_4956.JPG
The stack, zoomed in

More walking brought us to the point where we had to descend to our left (path a little indistinct at this point) to the flatter area just above the rock stack. It is very impressive and looks large, being so close to the cliff.
IMG_4960.JPG
Getting closer

Old Man appears.jpg
The Old Man appears in view

IMG_4969.JPG
Close up of the stack

After the important photography session, we continued to the end of the peninsula, crossing a fence, and continuing downhill a little, where we had lunch looking over to the continuing Sutherland coastline.
IMG_4972.JPG

IMG_4978.JPG

We then went back across the fence and climbed up the grass slopes to the cairn of Sidhean Mor at 161m. Although there was cloud around, we could see the famous peaks of Suilven, Canisp, Stac Pollaidh and more.
IMG_4991.JPG
Chris at the trig point

IMG_4990.JPG
Looking towards Quinag

The path as it leaves the cairn was broad and obvious, and we followed it to the crest of the little hills ahead, with the mast away on our left.
IMG_4997.JPG
The path leaving the trig point, heading for the low hills ahead.

IMG_4998.JPG
The mast seen to the left.

Following the crest took us towards the mast, but before reaching that hilltop, we emerged at the gravel track, and turned right to go back to the car.
IMG_5008.JPG
Reaching the track

IMG_5013.JPG
Old WW2 buildings

The old WW2 buildings now serve as shelter for hay bales for the animals. We reached the car, without having had any more rain and went to have a look at the bay by the car park. Despite the notice board's declaration of whales, dolphins and porpoises, we only saw a lone seal, who probably thought it was too cold to pop his nose up for long.
IMG_5500.JPG
The bay at the car park

We had earlier seen a metal cross near the car park and perched on the grass close to the bay, but there was nothing to mark why it was there.
IMG_5507.JPG
Cross in the late afternoon sunlight.

I'm glad to say this walk was "just what the doctor ordered" - a relaxed, no pressure walk, with wonderful views, and I returned feeling much rejuvenated for the exercise. Definitely a walk to be recommended for caves, stacks, seascapes and distant views, or if you only have half a day. :D
Towser
Walker

Re: Blown away - by the views

Postby dogplodder » Sun May 08, 2016 6:11 pm

Great shots of the 'Old Man' there! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Alteknacker » Sun May 08, 2016 10:24 pm

Seems like it would be worth it just for the views, which, judging by your pics, are marvellous. The Assynt hills look so alluring...!!!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Cesq » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:49 pm

Not sure but I've seen a metal cross like that before that was a radio antenna.
Cesq
Hill Bagger

Munros:1   
Donalds:2

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland