walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Skye again: Sgurr na Banachdich (with a grumpy muppet?)

Skye again: Sgurr na Banachdich (with a grumpy muppet?)

Postby jacob » Sat May 07, 2016 8:47 am

Route description: Sgùrr na Banachdich

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr na Banachdich

Date walked: 28/04/2016

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So after a beautiful but summitless outing on Sgurr a Bhasteir two days before, (http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=62328) the second big walk on our program was Sgurr na Banachdich. Again I awoke very early, again very hyperactive and very excited. But also slightly anxious: would we be able to get to the summit this time?
We hadn't planned anything out of the ordinary and just followed the description as given on this website and in the book Munros. The weather again was promising: a lot of short showers of rain and snow, separated by a lot of short spells of sunshine. Perfect for photos, as I do prefer clouded skies over all blue skies. Clouds can be the icing on the cake of landscape photography.
From Sligachan campsite of to the start of the walk; Glenbrittle youthhostel.

SAM_2801 wh.jpg
Our first view on the goal of today. Covered in clouds that would soon make way.

From there it's an easy walk over a well laid path, past a beautiful burn.

SAM_2883 wh.jpg
The burn has several nice waterfalls, of which this is one. A very joyous walk.

As predicted, the skies opened up and closed on us again every now and then. The only precipitation that day existed of snow and hail, which I think is preferable to rain.
We continued the walk and made sure we stuck to Allt coir an Eich instead of the Allt a coire Ghreadaidh, to end up at the south side of An Diallaid in the Coir an Eich and to be treated on beautiful views of what was yet to come.

SAM_2807 wh.jpg
Looking up the Coir an Eich, towards Sgurr na Banachdich

Because of the snow, we couldn't find a path on the ridge of An Diallaid, so straight up the scree slope we went. Quite streneous, but a great experience nonetheless. What a view!!!

SAM_2848 wh.jpg
View to the start of the walk.

And as we got higher, the views only got better. At some point you're up higher than your southernly neighbour Sgurr nan Gobhar. At that moment the views towards what I think is the Isle of Rum open up.

SAM_2849 wh.jpg
Isle of Rum?

At a certain moment we arrived at some sort of Bealach between Sgurr nan Gobhar and our goal of today, Sgurr na Banachdich. Great place and great moment for a little break, some food and some snow made tea.

SAM_2825 wh.jpg
Arriving at the Bealach

SAM_2839 wh.jpg
Having a break, skies covered up.

SAM_2852 wh.jpg
Same break, same place, five minutes later: skies opening up.

IMG_4041.JPG
Me enjoying my tea. Oh yeah, and the views of course. Rum (?) in between two showers of rain.

After quite a long break (it was beautiful and suprisingly not too cold to sit still) we moved up towards the summit. At some point on the way there is a see through that gives away just a little bit of what can be expected at the summit.

SAM_2857 wh.jpg
The see through, giving a nice view on what I think are Coir-uisg and Harta Corrie

SAM_2861 wh.jpg
Example of how the weather was extremely changeable.

From there it's only a short walk to the real summit. Once there......well, no words for that.

SAM_2862 wh.jpg
View on Bla Bheinn and Loch Coruisk.

SAM_2873 wh.jpg
On the summit. Admiration, a selfie and more admiration
:lol:

SAM_2875 wh.jpg
Enjoying the views.

SAM_2876 wh.jpg
For those of you wondering about the grumpy muppet in the title: take a look at my rucksack here. Didn't do it on purpose, but what has been seen cannot be unseen.

SAM_2877 wh.jpg
Me, very happy, very satisfied, very reluctant to descend again.

SAM_2881 wh.jpg
One last look before getting in the car again. Sgurr na Banachdich out of the clouds.
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

Re: Skye again: Sgurr na Banachdich (with a grumpy muppet?)

Postby Alteknacker » Sun May 08, 2016 10:42 pm

What fabulous weather in which to experience one of the finest places on the planet! As you say, "no words for that".

Hope to be up there again some time in the next couple of months.....
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland